Itinerary for 6 days Lucerne, Interlaken, Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2017 at 20:25:55 #812158

Hi we three friends make a plan to visit Switzerland ,our travel itienary is like this .Please take a look and suggest how we can make it more comfortable and memorable :

Day 1: Arrival in Zurich around 1:00 PM , check in hotel visiting local market and lake

Day 2: Departure to lucern , visiting town and Titlis mountain and back to Zurich in evening

Day 3: Departure to lucern by normal train and then take a golden pass train from lucern to interlaken. Visiting interlaken in rest of day

Day 4 : Departure to jungfrau from interlaken and night stay at intrlaken

Day 5:Departure to Geneva , city tour ,lake sight seeing

Day 6 : Early morning departure to India

We purchased swiss rail pass for Four days (from day 2 to Day 5) .There are some questions in my mind

Q1 : Is it necessary to make a reservation in golden pass train in July month? Is golden pass train and normal trains have different route?

Q2 : In above said itinerary how much i need to pay at cable car or other mountain trains? Is it possible for us to travel in golden pass train from Lucern to montrex and return back to interlaken on the same day? If YES how much time it will take

PLEASE REPLY

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 June 2017 at 22:40:08 #864653

Hi Darshigirish:

You can do the Interlaken-Montreux and return trip in one day.

The timetable will give you the details for that and other train trips:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

That will help you to improvise, as will this map:

map.search.ch/?pos=672384,195072&z=2

Also, the forum rules do not permit using all capital letters. It is the equivalent of shouting, and it hurts our ears or eyes….;-).

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules

Please do not do that again.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2017 at 1:44:02 #864654

Hi darshigirish,

>> We purchased swiss rail pass for Four days (from day 2 to Day 5) .

>> Day 3: Departure to lucern by normal train and then take a golden pass train from lucern to interlaken. Visiting interlaken in rest of day.

Interlaken is the least interesting town in the area. Instead of exploring Interlaken, I suggest you consider a trip to Mürren (free with Swiss Travel Pass) or a boat trip on Lake Brienz or Lake Thun (free with Swiss Travel Pass). This will depend on how early you get to Interlaken of course.

>> Day 5:Departure to Geneva , city tour ,lake sight seeing

Consider taking the Golden Pass route from Interlaken to Montreux and incorporating a cruise on Lac Léman (Lake Geneva) into this day. If need be (timewise), skip city tour of Geneva. Free with Swiss Travel Pass, but reservations on the Zweisimmen to Montreux sector of the Golden Pass route are recommended in July, and cost CHF 8 per seat. Reservations on the other sectors (Luzern to Interlaken Ost on Day 3, Interlaken Ost to Zweisimmen) might also be a good idea if you want 3 seats together, as the trains will be busy.

http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakegeneva

reservations.mob.ch/re servation/reservation/ reservation/reservatio n/reservation/reservat ion/reservation/reserv ation/reservation/rese rvation/f?p=151:1:32189086388788 91::NO:::

>> Q1 : Is it necessary to make a reservation in golden pass train in July month? Is golden pass train and normal trains have different route?

Reservations might be a good idea (see above). Normal trains also follow the same route as the official Golden Pass trains, but to find these services in the timetable for the sector from Interlaken Ost to Montreux, you need to put in “via Zweisimmen” to avoid getting details for the faster routes via Visp or Bern and Lausanne.

Q2 : In above said itinerary how much i need to pay at cable car or other mountain trains? Is it possible for us to travel in golden pass train from Lucern to montrex and return back to interlaken on the same day?

Titlis – 50% discount. Price information here:

http://www.titlis.ch/en/ticke ts/cable-car-ride

Jungfrau – free travel to Wengen or Grindelwald; 25% discount between Wengen or Grindelwald and the Jungfraujoch. It’s good to go up one way and back the other, as the scenery is very different for each route. Price information here:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/filead min/Prospekte_und_Bros chueren/Jungfraubahnen _Fahrpreise_Preisliste .pdf

Instead of doing a return trip on the Golden Pass route between Montreux and Interlaken Ost, you could incorporate this trip into your journey to Geneva on Day 5. Your itinerary as described above for Interlaken does not seem to have room for a return trip between Interlaken and Montreux in any case.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2017 at 6:07:30 #864655

Hey alpenrose!

Just wanted to confirm, isn’t the reservation for the golden pass route free with the swiss travel pass? I’ve read that it’s free quite a few times.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2017 at 6:39:40 #864656

No, sorry Jay, reservations are always an extra cost on any train – including the Golden Pass.
    Have you read that they are free on our website? It shouldn’t say that.

Reservations are not mandatory on this route so you don’t have to buy one (although I would in the summer, especially between Zweisimmen and Montreux).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2017 at 8:14:01 #864657

Okay Lucas! Thank you for the clarification!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2017 at 20:23:39 #864658

Few suggestions …

> On the day of your arrival , catch a train to Lucerne and stay there …instead of staying in Zurich. If not possible then on day 2 check out from Zurich and stay in Lucerne ..try catching early morning train to Lucerne to check in and then start your day with My Titlus. I would suggest to consider Rigi over Titlis as you are planning to do Jungfrau ..Rigi will give completely different view … Breathtaking

> on day 3 enjoy cruise from Brienz to Interlaken ( take golden pass line from lucerne to Brienz ) if it interests you explore any lake side village . My suggestion is to stay at Lauterbrunnen ..direct connectivity from Interlaken takes 20mins ..then check in and explore the beautiful village , do visit trummelbach fall.

> on day 4 Take a train to wengen , from there proceed to Jungfrau. After Jungfrau you can explore wengen or Grindelwald .

> On day 5 take golden pass line to Montreux , keep your luggage in locker rooms , take the beautiful long walk to Chillon castle , or the train . while coming back to Montreux take boat ..You can also take cruises to Lausanne , vevey etc as per your interests … If it’s a sunny day enjoy sunset then reach Geneva by 9 or 10 pm and check in your hotel ..you can take train as well as boat to Geneva .

> Checkout from hotel for your flight back to India .

* We never made any reservations , but not sure for the month of July …

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2017 at 3:54:24 #864659

Hi Alpenrose666

Thnaks for nice suggestion. I want to know

Q1) if on Day 5 if i will take Interlaken to montrex (golden pass route) ,then how to reach Geneva from Montreux? and how much time it will take ? Can we get time for Geneva lake tour?

Q2) Is in Golden pass route i need to change train at Zweisimmen or a we need to seat in a single train from Interlaken to Montrex?

Again thanks to all buddies who suggested

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2017 at 4:45:54 #864660

1) From Montreux , catch train to Geneva from platform 1 ..approx one hour.

2 ) you will have to change train at Zweisimmen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2017 at 8:08:57 #864661

Hi i have one more question if we plan to go Jungfraujoch from interlaken then we decide following route:

Up route: Interlaken to Kleine scheidegg Via Grindelwald then Kleine scheidegg to Junfraujoch

Down Route: Kleine scheidegg to interlaken via Lauterbrunnen

Since we have 4 day Swiss pass Q 1 )How much cost of ticket we need to pay for two way journey per head? Q2) Do we need to buy all tickets at one point ? For getting concession what is procedure?

Please guide us

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 June 2017 at 8:52:14 #864662

Hi darshigirish,

1) With a Swiss Travel Pass the ticket costs CHF 137.25.

2) You only need one ticket for the day. Further details are here: myswissalps.com/jungfr aujoch/tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2017 at 1:17:29 #864663

>> Q1) if on Day 5 if i will take Interlaken to montrex (golden pass route) ,then how to reach Geneva from Montreux? and how much time it will take ? Can we get time for Geneva lake tour?

You could take a boat from Montreux to Lausanne, then continue to Geneva by train from Lausanne.

I picked 12 July at random (as I believe you are travelling in July), and this is a sample timetable that could work:

Depart Interlaken Ost 9:08. This is a Golden Pass train, connecting with the Golden Pass Panoramic at Zweisimmen.

Arrive Montreux 12:13; spend about 2 hours in Montreux

Depart Montreux by boat 14:15

Arrive Lausanne-Ouchy dock 15:20

Walk to Lausanne, Ouchy-Olympique station (about 5 minutes)

Depart Lausanne, Ouchy-Olympique 15:35

Arrive Geneva 16:21 (change of trains at Lausanne main station)

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 2:51:22 #864664

Hi Alpenrose666 thanks for reply

Can’t we get a direct boat from montreux to Geneva? Is it possible to travel in a boat with a luggage having length+breath+depth=158 cm ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 2:52:36 #864665

Hi Arno

Thanks for reply Cost mentioned by you is one way or two way?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 June 2017 at 3:08:01 #864666

Hi Darshigirish-

You have asked a lot of questions about travel connections and travel times.

Please use the timetable to help yourself answer these questions.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

As you use it, you can understand the routes you ask about, as well as alternatives. The timetable is the key to planning travel by public transportation in Switzerland.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 8:05:55 #864667

Hi Darshigirish,

The cost mentioned by Arno is round-trip and you can find all costs for Jungfraujoch at the bottom of our page here. (take 25% off to get the price with a Swiss Travel Pass discount).

You can also find the lake Geneva boat timetables here (link on the bottom right of the page). Your luggage won’t be an issue on the boat, as long as you can get it on board. 🙂

• The thread ‘Itinerary for 6 days Lucerne, Interlaken, Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.