Help on best choice of passes for family of 6

• achordabove
    Participant
    2 posts
    12 July 2014 at 2:04:00 #806505

Family of 4 adults and 2 children (ages 4 & 7) will travel from Zurich Airport to Lauterbrunnen and will stay in this area for 4 nights. We will then travel to Bremen Germany and will be there 5 nights for the remainder of the trip. I need suggestions on which pass would be the best value. The following is a tentative itinerary for the stay in Lauterbrunnen: Day 1– we arrive in Zurrich at 0830 and will travel to Lauterbrunnen. For the afternoon, we want to travel to Mannlichen and then hike to Kleine Scheidegg, then back to Lauterbrunnen. Day 2–Hiking from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg and visit Trummelbach Falls, then back to Lauterbrunnen. Day 3 Visit Murren, Schilthorn, and Gimmewald .Day 4 Visit Wengen, Grindelwald, and First. Day 5 We will leave to go to Bremen Germany. We will probably purchase individual tickets from the Swiss border to Bremen. Which would be the best value- a half-fare card, flexi-pass, or swiss card?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    12 July 2014 at 9:16:32 #840591

Hi achordabove,

A Swiss Card is slightly more expensive than a Swiss Half Fare Card. You can also look into the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland, but I think the Swiss Half Fare Card will work out best for you (you need 4 of them for the adults; the children travel for free). See this guide if you want to do the detailed math, and the pass links for all pass details such as prices, how they work, where they’re valid and more.

A Swiss Half Fare Card get you 50% discounted tickets everywhere, including the leg from Lauterbrunnen to Basel Bad Bf (the Swiss border). From there you need single tickets to Bremen.

achordabove
    Participant
    2 posts
    14 July 2014 at 0:05:10 #840592

Hi Annika, Thank you so much for your response. I have been busy crunching the numbers and confusing myself too. I am not sure that I have all the fares correct, but my calculations come out $40 dollars more for the 3 day Flexi- pass. However, with the $75 dollar off promotion right now, it may come out a few dollars cheaper. If so, would you suggest purchasing the flexi-pass instead? For the 3 day pass, I plan to activate upon arrival to travel to Lauterbrunnen, one of the days for excursions, and the last day for the trip to the border. Does it act as a half-fare card on the days that I don’t use between arrival and departure? Thanks again for your help.

Arno
    15483 posts
    14 July 2014 at 5:46:09 #840593

Hi achordabove,

If the Swiss Flexi Pass with the $75 discount works out cheaper then that’s perfectly fine. Promo codes and details are here. Indeed you can purchase discounted tickets on non-free travel days between the first and last free travel day. Details are on the Swiss Flexi Pass page.

Enjoy your stay!

Kind regards,

Arno

• The thread ‘Help on best choice of passes for family of 6’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.