Help on TGV pricing.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2010 at 0:23:27 #803895

Hi,

On 2-Jun, when I lookup Europe Rail site for TGV ticket. The price was rather cheap.

Now with the intention to book for 8-Aug-2010, I lookup the same site, same schedule again, the price has increased by almost 100%.

I will be depart for Paris (from Switzerland Basel)

So do I buy the ticket now OR totally don’t care until few days before and hope there is a chance I can get cheaper fare tickets for 4 persons.

Does a valid Swiss saver Pass entitles one to discounted TGV fare ?

On another note regarding connecting train, From Interlaken OST to Basel SBB, SBB returns me a trip of ICE train(8-Aug 6.01am, ICE278). ICE is the germany bullet train, does Swiss Pass holder travels free on this train from Interlaken OST to Basel SBB ?

Any advice on the pricing pattern over time will be appreciated (for my knowledge)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    5 July 2010 at 4:51:15 #831500

Hello MeltyMel,

I just tried the same as you did and I found (restricted, second class, economy) a price of $ 83. Is that what you found too? It’s a train leaving at 05.37 from Basel and you will be travelling through Strasbourg for a transfer. If you take the 06.16 train with a transfer in Strasbourg you will have to pay $ 118. It seems like the later you depart, the more you pay. I’m really not sure about what I’m seeing, just curious what you found so that I can try to do a bit more for you.

With a Swiss Saver Pass you can travel from Interlaken Ost to Basel SBB without paying extra.

I’m glad to help if there’s anything more I can do!

Olga

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2010 at 1:29:40 #831501

Thanks, forget about my comparisons, it was query on Jun 2010, now it is Jul 2010. It could also be an offer program that ends in Jun 2010. That was for 4 adults (I missed out this point).

I could not take the early trains as I need to travel from Interlaken OST to Basel first. Possible time is 10am or 11am.

I am now exploring ways to reach Paris on budget (4 adults). Since there is 1 transfer like you found at Strasbourg (for cheaper tickets), so I am exploring this :

1. Get a TGV, Basel to Strasbourg ; ( I can also take short half day trip at Strasbourg)
    2. Then, get a lower cost, idTGV from Strasbourg to Paris.

Does this plan work out better – economically ?

Though, I can work out the schedule/cost online. However, I am the sole planner, therefore I would really appreciate if you can help me as a form of double confirmation. I would dread any mistake on my part, esp the connection part.

And last thing is a question: how does the price trend move for TGV, would it be wise if I leave the booking until when I reach Switzerland ~ about 1.5 week before I depart for Paris ?

Thanks for everything

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 July 2010 at 11:32:02 #831502

Hi MeltyMel,

TGV prices indeed vary with the day of the week, time of the day and the amount of time between booking and traveling. Please take a look at the tips for cheap tickets from London to Switzerland we have listed. The same rules apply to your trip. In general, you would pay the most expensive fare if you book just before your day of traveling. Booking in advance is almost always cheaper, unless of course a special offer turns up. I’m not sure about the fares for other (non-TGV) trains. Prices for those trains are usually fixed, but you can best check with the French railways to be sure. Also, the Swiss timetable can be used to plan trips abroad and check (the regular) prices for TGV-trains as well as regular trains. It shows options like Olga mentioned as well (traveling one leg by regular train and another by TGV). I just found such a connection (11:17 am from Basel, 4:37 pm in Paris) for 118 Swiss francs (about $ 111) per person. So it does not have to be cheaper than an early booked TGV trip.

A Swiss Saver Pass does not provide discounted traveling from Basel to Paris, as this is a French route (Basel is a Swiss-French border station).

ICE trains in Switzerland can be used for free with a Swiss Saver Pass, unless seat reservations are obligatory for that particular train. The timetable shows whether that’s the case or not. I checked your train and you can just use it with your pass without additional costs.

• The thread ‘Help on TGV pricing.’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.