Help pick base cities for 15 day Switzerland trip?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 11:50:22 #814390

Hello,

I’m traveling to Switzerland in May’2018 for 14 days.Looking for your valuable inputs on my itinerary which is as follows,

Day 1 : Arrive Zurich at 7am Train to Lucerne.Lake Cruise,Chapel Bridge, Lion Monument.Overnight Lucerne.

Day 2 : Visit Mt.Pilatus / Mt.Rigi, Swiss Transport Museum. Overnight Lucerne

Day 3 : Visit Mt.Titlis in Engelberg(50 mins). Overnight Lucerne

Day 4 : Lucerne to Interlaken region. Explore Interlaken, Ballenberg Museum. Overnight Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen.

Day 5 : Visit Jungfraujoch & Trummelbach falls. Overnight Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen.

Day 6 : Visit Mount Schilthorn, Glacier gorge. Overnight Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen.

Day 7 : Explore Murren village. Overnight Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen.

Day 8 : Interlaken to Zermatt. Gornergrat. Overnight Zermatt.

Day 9 : Visit Matterhorn Glacier. Overnight Zermatt.

Day 10 : Zermatt to Montreux. Visit Chillon Castle. Gardens of Montreal Palace. Overnight Montreux.

Day 11 : Explore Vevey. Overnight Montreux.

Day 12 : Montreux to Bern.Overnight Bern.

Day 13 : Bern to Zurich

Day 14 : Catch a morning flight of 11am to India.

Is it too hectic? Is it doable? I wanted to keep base cities to a minimum of 3 as we’re traveling with kids. Is it possible to cover Zermatt from Montreux? Will it make more sense to visit Bern from Montreux ? Which is a better option to stay Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen ? Should I stay in Montreux or Lausanne ?

Your suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

-Ash

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 15:22:01 #876477

Hi Ash and welcome to MySwissalps!

No, it doesn’t strike me as too hectic. 3 bases is good for everyone, with or without kids!

I’d move the Swiss Museum of Transport to day 3 I think but you might have time on day 2. I’m sure it is flexible.

Do you mean the gardens at the Fairmont Montreux hotel?

Montreux to Zermatt is about 2.5 hours – a bit long for a day trip but up to you. Montreux to Bern is 1h 45min so more doable if you want. Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all of your trips.

You could also stay in Bern 2 nights and go straight to Zurich airport. I’d stay in Montreux over Lausanne. Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen are both nice choices and you won’t be unhappy with either. The favourite around here is Wengen as well.

You should also look at a rail pass such as the Swiss Travel Pass, that will cover most of your trips without the need to buy any other tickets (except a few noted here that show a % discount on the ticket only).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 8:27:57 #876478

Thank you Lucas for your suggestions. I’ve decided to stay in Wengen instead of Lauterbrunnen. Is it possible to visit Zermatt from Wengen instead of Montreux. I’m trying to avoid staying in Zermatt so that we don’t have to move around too much.

Thanks,

-Ash

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 9:48:59 #876479

It’s a much longer day to Zermatt from Wengen than from Montreux – use the timetable link I gave you to see times ( but it is about 3 hours each way). It can work though if you want. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 4:38:38 #876480

Thanks much for the info. Should I skip Zermatt altogether? I’m visiting Mt.Titlis and Jungfraujoch. Will the views be any different?

Thanks,

-Ash

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 8:00:27 #876481

I guess it depends on if you adhere to the saying “if you’ve seen one mountain range you’ve seen them all”. 🙂

It is all personal preference. The big difference is of course, the Matterhorn in Zermatt and if that is a big draw for you. It was for me and was one of the first places I visited when I moved to Switzerland. I still haven’t gone to Jungfraujoch.

• The thread ‘Help pick base cities for 15 day Switzerland trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.