Help pick base cities for 15 day Switzerland trip?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
ashm26
ashm26
5 posts
Feb 16, 2018 - 11:50 AM

Hello,

I'm traveling to Switzerland in May'2018 for 14 days.Looking for your valuable inputs on my itinerary which is as follows,

Day 1 : Arrive Zurich at 7am Train to Lucerne.Lake Cruise,Chapel Bridge, Lion Monument.Overnight Lucerne.

Day 2 : Visit Mt.Pilatus / Mt.Rigi, Swiss Transport Museum. Overnight Lucerne

Day 3 : Visit Mt.Titlis in Engelberg(50 mins). Overnight Lucerne

Day 4 : Lucerne to Interlaken region. Explore Interlaken, Ballenberg Museum. Overnight Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen.

Day 5 : Visit Jungfraujoch & Trummelbach falls. Overnight Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen.

Day 6 : Visit Mount Schilthorn, Glacier gorge. Overnight Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen.

Day 7 : Explore Murren village. Overnight Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen.

Day 8 : Interlaken to Zermatt. Gornergrat. Overnight Zermatt.

Day 9 : Visit Matterhorn Glacier. Overnight Zermatt.

Day 10 : Zermatt to Montreux. Visit Chillon Castle. Gardens of Montreal Palace. Overnight Montreux.

Day 11 : Explore Vevey. Overnight Montreux.

Day 12 : Montreux to Bern.Overnight Bern.

Day 13 : Bern to Zurich

Day 14 : Catch a morning flight of 11am to India.

Is it too hectic? Is it doable? I wanted to keep base cities to a minimum of 3 as we're traveling with kids. Is it possible to cover Zermatt from Montreux? Will it make more sense to visit Bern from Montreux ? Which is a better option to stay Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen ? Should I stay in Montreux or Lausanne ?

Your suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

-Ash

Lucas
Lucas
9587 posts
expert &
Feb 16, 2018 - 3:22 PM in reply to ashm26

Hi Ash and welcome to MySwissalps!

No, it doesn't strike me as too hectic. 3 bases is good for everyone, with or without kids!

I'd move the Swiss Museum of Transport to day 3 I think but you might have time on day 2. I'm sure it is flexible.

Do you mean the gardens at the Fairmont Montreux hotel?

Montreux to Zermatt is about 2.5 hours - a bit long for a day trip but up to you. Montreux to Bern is 1h 45min so more doable if you want. Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all of your trips.

You could also stay in Bern 2 nights and go straight to Zurich airport. I'd stay in Montreux over Lausanne. Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen are both nice choices and you won't be unhappy with either. The favourite around here is Wengen as well.

You should also look at a rail pass such as the Swiss Travel Pass, that will cover most of your trips without the need to buy any other tickets (except a few noted here that show a % discount on the ticket only).

ashm26
ashm26
5 posts
Feb 17, 2018 - 8:27 AM

Thank you Lucas for your suggestions. I've decided to stay in Wengen instead of Lauterbrunnen. Is it possible to visit Zermatt from Wengen instead of Montreux. I'm trying to avoid staying in Zermatt so that we don't have to move around too much.

Thanks,

-Ash

Lucas
Lucas
9587 posts
expert &
Feb 17, 2018 - 9:48 AM in reply to ashm26

It's a much longer day to Zermatt from Wengen than from Montreux - use the timetable link I gave you to see times ( but it is about 3 hours each way). It can work though if you want. :)

ashm26
ashm26
5 posts
Feb 22, 2018 - 4:38 AM

Thanks much for the info. Should I skip Zermatt altogether? I'm visiting Mt.Titlis and Jungfraujoch. Will the views be any different?

Thanks,

-Ash

Lucas
Lucas
9587 posts
expert &
Feb 22, 2018 - 8:00 AM in reply to ashm26

I guess it depends on if you adhere to the saying "if you've seen one mountain range you've seen them all". :)

It is all personal preference. The big difference is of course, the Matterhorn in Zermatt and if that is a big draw for you. It was for me and was one of the first places I visited when I moved to Switzerland. I still haven't gone to Jungfraujoch.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018