Choosing best rail pass and itinerary help 5 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 2:37:14 #811066

Dear all,

Hi,

I’m travelling from India with my wife to switzerland. My flights are bookes to and fro from Frankfurt. Please suggest me whether following Itinerary is good and which Rail Pass I should buy (Swiss Traveler pass or Eurail Two country pass)

Day-1 Arrival in Frank Furt: Frankfurt to Interlaken train. Evening roam around in Interlaken

Day-2: Interlaken–> Lauterbrunnen –> Grutschalp –> Murren–> Birg–> Shilthron –>Birg –> Murren–>stechelberg –>Trummelbach Falls –> Lauterbrunnen –> Interlaken, Evening sunset in HarderKulm.

Day-3: Check out hotel. Interlaken go to Brienz –> take train –> Meiringen (Reichenbach falls)–>Alpbach station –> Meiringen –> Interlaken –> Catch rail to Lucerne: Evening Lucerne Chapel and Lion monument

Day-4: Mount Titlis

Day-5: Lucerne –> Take boat –>Vitzan –> Mt Rigi –> Lucerne Enjoy Lake –> Night Leave for Frankfurt.

Please suggest me whether iterenary looks okay and which rail pass is better (Should include local attractions) and if possible if you can suggest good hotels (budget).

Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 17:33:19 #860057

Hi Natarajks and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think you itinerary looks reasonable – but what are your actual travel dates? Also, Day 2 looks too busy, I might cut something out there.

The Swiss Travel Pass should work quite well for you. It covers virtually all transport in Switzerland and covers some attractions as well (more details here).

As for hotels, we have recommended hotels for most towns in Switzerland – click here to look through our lists.

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 18:32:22 #860058

Thank you Lucas,

Your reply has helped greatly. I will cut down the day 2 in Interlaken a bit. May be I will do Shilthorn and Birg and forget Sunset.

I am planning to travel in April 1st weekend. Does Swiss Travel Pass cover travel from Frankfurt to Interlaken and Lucerne to Frankfurt?

Is it a good idea to rent a car and drive my self?

Regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 8:45:57 #860059

Hi natarajks,

I would not rent a car for Switzerland, no – trains are much more convenient.

The Swiss Travel Pass only covers routes within Switzerland. You will need to buy a ticket for the trip to and from Frankfurt to the Swiss border. You can buy those tickets here, this trip usually will route you through Basel, sometimes with a train change and sometimes direct.

Regards,
    Lucas

• The thread ‘Choosing best rail pass and itinerary help 5 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.