Help with our 2 week Switzerland itinerary

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
MomiSharon
MomiSharon
2 posts
Feb 14, 2018 - 2:16 AM

Hi

We are a family of 5 adults. One senior and 4 adults travelling to Switzerland for the first time. Would appreciate some comments, suggestion on our draft itinerary as to how doable is it. And are we overdoing in one place etc. We have roughly 2 weeks to tour Switzerland and we love outdoor scenic places, doing some hikes , going up mountains for the views.

I have read several of TA blogs and extracted invaluable info to come up with our draft itinerary.

Plan to arrive in Zurich in morning. Do some city sightseeing Spend one night and

Next day depart for Lucern.

Spend 3 nites in Lucern and do some day trips>

Move to either Lanterbrunnen or Wengen and use it as base for 3 nights. Which would be better in terms of travel via train accessibility?

Would like to cover Grindelwald,Jungfrau ,Pilatus and “top of Europe”

For the remaining 4/5 nights is it possible to cover Zermatt, Montreux and Geneva?

We are still in early stage of planning so open to suggestions.

Thanks

Lucas
Lucas
4077 posts
expert &
Feb 14, 2018 - 7:37 AM in reply to MomiSharon

Hi MomiSharon,

It does seem a reasonable itinerary yes - all very doable. One important questions is when are you coming to Switzerland?

• For a list of recommended activities around Lucerne click here - there is a lot more to do than just Mt. Pilatus! :)
  • Purely based on public transport Lauterbrunnen is bit better - especially if you are looking at visiting Mürren and Schilthorn and possible exploring outside the area like Thun, Brienz, or Interlaken.

Wengen will work as well though as it can connect you to Grindelwald and Jungfraujoch easily. They are quite close to each other (Wengen and Lauterbrunnen) so I'd go based on the hotel you find or the town that looks nicer - Wengen is the more popular option typically.
  • I think 2 nights in Zermatt and 2 in Montreux is a nice option. If you aren't too interested in Geneva (and just need to go there for a flight) you can stay in Montreux and take a train to the airport quite easily (if it isn't too early in the morning).

Be sure to click on the "what to do" tabs for each town link above for activity ideas.

For planning your trips around Switzerland use the Swiss railways timetable here & click here for help on how to choose the best rail pass.

Last modified on Feb 14, 2018 - 7:39 AM by Lucas
Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
1534 posts
top member
Feb 14, 2018 - 8:57 AM in reply to MomiSharon

>> Move to either Lanterbrunnen or Wengen and use it as base for 3 nights. Which would be better in terms of travel via train accessibility?

Train accessibility isn't everything ;-)

Wengen and Mürren have more spectacular views than Lauterbrunnen, as they are located high above, and overlooking, the Lauterbrunnen Valley. They are also car-free, which gives them a special ambience.

Wengen is only 12 minutes on the train from Lauterbrunnen, and the ride up is spectacular.

Mürren takes a bit longer to get to (23 to 32 minutes), but the ride (whichever of the two possible routes you take) is also spectacular. There is a good description of how to incorporate both routes in rockoyster's post of Jan 27, 2018 - 2:11 AM on the following page:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/cable-car-from-lauterbrunnen-to-murren

>> Would like to cover Grindelwald,Jungfrau ,Pilatus and “top of Europe”

Pilatus is near Luzern. Grindelwald and the Jungfraujoch are near Interlaken.

The Jungfraujoch and "Top of Europe" are one and the same place. "Top of Europe" is just a marketing term for the Jungfraujoch.

You shouldn't miss Wengen and Mürren when you are in the Jungfrau Region. The Schilthorn is also a wonderful trip, and is free in 2018 if you have a Swiss Travel Pass.

I have attached some photos taken from Wengen and Mürren. If you are interested, you can see photos taken from the Schilthorn (and Jungfraujoch) in my post of Mar 1, 2017 - 10:12 PM on the following page:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/itinerary-questions

Lauterbrunnen is the village you can see at the bottom of the valley in the photos taken from Wengen.

What time of year are you going? Some mountain transport does not operate in the winter, and some closes in the off-season for maintenance.

Alpenrose

Please login to see the attached documents
Lucas
Lucas
4077 posts
expert &
Feb 14, 2018 - 4:14 PM in reply to Alpenrose666

Hi Alpenrose,

But I bet the Jungfrau marketing department would be very happy to hear how many people simply refer to the mountain as "the top of Europe" ! :)

Last modified on Feb 14, 2018 - 4:14 PM by Lucas
Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
1534 posts
top member
Feb 15, 2018 - 1:28 AM in reply to Lucas

>> But I bet the Jungfrau marketing department would be very happy to hear how many people simply refer to the mountain as "the top of Europe" ! :)

Yep, whoever dreamed up that slogan must be delighted!

The name "Piz Gloria" for the Schilthorn has unfortunately stuck too, due to the James Bond film. "Piz" is a word that doesn't even belong in that part of Switzerland, as it is a Rumantsch word for "peak", and occurs in the areas where Rumantsch is spoken, not in the Berner Oberland.

But top marks have to go to the marketers for the Rhine Falls. They have managed to get the falls onto the must-see list for most first-time visitors to Switzerland, despite its underwhelming scenic value compared with what else Switzerland has to offer. However, I know that many people might disagree with me there ;-)

Alpenrose

Last modified on Feb 15, 2018 - 1:34 AM by Alpenrose666
MomiSharon
MomiSharon
2 posts
Feb 16, 2018 - 4:45 AM in reply to Lucas

Thanks Lucas and Alpenrose666 for your helpful suggestions. We are looking at July timing for the trip . Getting very excited with all the inputs by you guys and will look into the finer details now for the planning . Thanks a lot!

sharon

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018