Help to finalize trip during 1st week of April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2016 at 10:51:21 #808390

Hi

Below is the Planned Itinerary :

Day 1 : Arrive from Zurich to Interlaken by afternoon. Enjoy local sight seeing in Interlaken.

Day 2 : Interlaken to Broc Caison Miller Chocolate factory . Do we need to book tickets in advance for Chocolate factory tour. This takes around 2 hrs 24 minutes by changing trains from Bern and Bulle. Any local sight seeings you suggest for this day?

Day 3: Interlaken to Schilthorn and back to Lucerne by 6 PM train . Is it doable? Also can we use Golden Panaromic train or it should be done on Day 1? Please clarify on this.

Day 4 : Lucerne to Mt. Rigi. Want to do the Round trip including cable car mentioned in the site to enjoy boat ride . Is it the only trip mentioned in the site ((http://www.myswissalps.com/ rigi) for boat ride or any other alternative?

Even for Schilthorn I understand that trip will be like this Interlaken>Lauterbrunnen > Cable car to Grütschalp> Train to Murren and then walk other side to go to Schilthorn cable car . For both these do we have any restrictions due to weather in April? Please confirm if i can plan based on the route provided in this site?

Day 5: Sight seeing in Lucerne

Day 6 : Lucerne to Zurich and visit Rhine falls (tentative).

Please let me know if any modifications/ alternates required for the above plan because of weather in 1st week of April.

Also how will be the weather during that time. Will it be too cold that very warm clothing (like Gloves, warm hats etc..are) required? Or manageable with light jacket and layers of clothing.

Thanks

P1

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    9 February 2016 at 11:48:11 #848290

Welcome back P1!

Good to hear you’ve been able to finalize your travel plans. Here are some considerations:

• day 2: I’m not sure if you actually want to take the Chocolate Train departing from Montreux. That one would require advance booking. If not, you can indeed travel by Bern and Bulle and just buy a ticket when entering the factory, without making reservations in advance. It will be quite a long trip, so I wouldn’t recommend any other sightseeing. Of course you may get out in Bern for a short visit on your way back, if you’re still up to that, or travel back using the Golden Pass route via Montreux;
    • day 3: yes, that’s doable. You can use the Golden Pass route both on day 1 and 3, but of course you don’t have to. If you’re traveling in the 1st week of April, the Schilthorn is accessible using the route you described. The cable car will only be shut down in case of very bad weather and dangerous wind. The various ways to get to Mürren are described at http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn/gettingthere;
    • day 4: I’m not sure if I understand your question correctly. Do you mean to ask if you can only make a boat trip if you combine it with a Rigi visit? That’s not the case, you can easily make any other boat trip. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakelucerne for details.

In early April you may encounter anything in the lower regions, ranging from mild and sunny spring weather to chilly circumstances. It will be cold and possibly freezing at mountain tops. You’d best dress in multiple layers, allowing you to easily adapt to changing temperatures, and make sure you have waterproof shoes and coats. Further information is at http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather and http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2016 at 11:55:37 #848291

Hi Annika

Thanks for the reply.

For Day 2 : I meant visiting the Caison Miller factory directly not taking the Chocolate train.

Day 4: Sorry for the confusion. Yes i want to know if any other boat trip can be done. will check the details provided by you

While planning for Swiss travel pass vs tickets, will check with you. Once again thanks for your support

Regards

P1

Annika
    7116 posts
    10 February 2016 at 15:24:37 #848292

Hi P1!

Great, it’s all clear now. You’re welcome to get back with rail pass questions! The links that have been provided in your previous topic will be a good starting point.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2016 at 3:40:37 #848293

Hi Annika,

Gone through the links and calculated the prices and looks Swiss Half Fare card would be better option. But i need few clarifications on this:

1.Swiss half fare card can be used for all days in Switzerland or only some specific days like 1,3,5 consecutive days etc. This is a bit confusing and could not find complete information in the website. Please clarify how this works.

2. If we select to Print at Home, can we use those printed tickets directly? Do we need to collect original tickets somewhere again? Do we need to validate them everytime or once is fine?

3. When check ” Where it’s valid” seems almost all our travel will be covered with 50% price. Is that correct? Does this also cover Maison Chocolate factory tickets as well?

Thanks

P1

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 February 2016 at 9:30:43 #848294

Hi P1,

• You can use it for an entire month. All details are here: myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard.
    • You can go to http://www.swissrailways.com/ en and select “Online Ticket” when asked for delivery options. You will receive the card through e-mail to print it yourself. You can immediately use it for traveling. No further validation required.
    • Yes, the map is correct. Your trip to the chocolate factory is discounted as well, but the entrance fee is not. With a Swiss Travel Pass it is included for free as well.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2016 at 4:50:59 #848295

Hi Arno,

Sorry for bothering again on the same question : You mean Swiss Half fare card i can use for all 5 days during my Switzerland trip. Is that correct?

Somehow it got registered as valid for specific days of travel (read somewhere in that way). So wanted to cross check.

Thanks

P1

Arno
    15483 posts
    25 February 2016 at 8:14:38 #848296

Hi P1,

Yes, you can use it for your 5 days. You would even have 25 days left as it’s valid for a month from the first day of usage, e.g. March 24 to April 23. It’s all explained here, and in the video here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2016 at 4:07:59 #848297

Hi Team,

Able to book the train tickets and Swiss Half fare card as suggested by you. When i check the whether forecast first week of April is cloudy in Lucerne and Interlaken with showers. Can you please suggest some good alternatives for Mt. Rigi and Schilthorn in case if weather is cloudy and if cannot proceed with plan mentioned above

Thanks

P1

Annika
    7116 posts
    13 March 2016 at 10:48:04 #848298

Hi P1,

A weather forecast 3 weeks out is close to random, so don’t worry. I’d recommend to start looking at forecasts 2-3 days in advance. That’s when they begin to make sense. And indeed have some alternatives in mind for bad weather. The Interlaken and Lucerne pages provide suggestions.

• The thread ‘Help to finalize trip during 1st week of April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.