Swiss summer plan: scenery, fine dining, cruises

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 20:00:09 #816310

Hello everyone, I am planning my europe trip this year ( Paris-Belgium-Switzerland ) but i was so confused with switzerland itinerary. Thanks to all of you over here for helping me give a start at least after reading your views.

Would be travelling from brussels to Geneva ( via flight ) with my wife. First of all, we are not into skiing or hiking. So not sure what to see and explore. Prefer scenic views, fine dine restraunts by the lake/terrace with calm environment, water activities, late night parties etc

After reading a lot of info over here, i guess the best way to travel in switzerland is via train or boat. I see 1st class and 2nd class. what is the actual difference. as there will be heavy luggage with us what would you recommend to travel between places ? are there any cruises available?

Rough plan as of now : Still exploring places to visit

2 Nights in montreux, 2 nights in Zermatt, 2 nights Interlaken, 2 nights lucerne

Day 1 : Arrival at Geneva Airport – Travel to montreux via train – overnight stay at montreaux

Day 2 : Stay at montreux

Day 3 : Montreax to Zermatt

Day 4 : Stay at zermatt

Day 5 : Zermatt to interlaken

Day 6 : Stay at interlaken

Day 7 : Interlaken to lucerne

Day 8 : Stay at lucerne

Day 9 : lucerne to Zurich airport

Few Questions,

1. Can we eliminate one of the above places and cover them in a day tour ?

2. Shall we go for 8 day ST pass? what other passes to opt for?

3. Are there any hotels where we can just relax for a day with views, jacuzzi in a balcony or private pool in a room? Its my wife birthday, so i just wanna plan something special and alone for her.

4. Also if you guys could help me with what trains give the best views from above connecting places?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 7:33:54 #886760

Hi 88anish and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can read about the differences between 1st and 2nd class seating here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/practical/ 2nd1stclass

There are lake cruises on most Swiss lakes yes. You can read about the popular options here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/activities/sceni ctrips/boat

The itinerary looks pretty good. I would swap a out Interlaken for a nearby village like Mürren or Wengen personally.

1. You could cover Zermatt as a day trip from Montreux and then from Montreux take the Golden Pass route to Interlaken.
    2. Yes, that probably works the best for you. Read about how to buy the Swiss Travel Pass online here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price
    3. One hotel that comes to mind is the Villa Honegg near Lucerne. Their spa and outdoor pool and hot tub look spectacualr. Though I’m not sure your budget.
      Outdoor pools at hotels aren’t uncommon but private pools / jacuzzi’s are a bit rare.
    4. From Montreux to Interlaken and on to Lucerne is the Golden Pass route as noted above. If you do go to Zermatt you can travel to Interlaken via Brig and Kandersteg taking the Lötschberg line to Spiez (avoiding the tunnel). It is also a great scenic trip.

Hope that gets you started!

• The thread ‘Swiss summer plan: scenery, fine dining, cruises’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.