Buying a Swiss rail pass 2 days prior to arrival

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 14:03:53 #811649

Can anyone help me? I will arrive Switzerland on 4th May (2 days from now) but I have not purchased my Swiss pass. Was about to purchase the Half Fare card just now but I was asked to key in my start date. However I can only key in the start date from 5 May onwards. If I put 5 May, can I still utilize the card when I arrive on 4th May? Will the start date determine when I can use my Half fare card? If not, I don’t think i will get the Swiss pass anymore.

Many thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 14:37:13 #862679

Hi Lisa,

Typically you need 3 business days to order any Swiss rail pass (such as the Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card) and receive it by email for printing. Happyrail can process your order within 1 business day however.

Swiss Half Fare Card with Happyrail.

If you have any trouble buying it for the 4th you can buy it at any Swiss Railways (SBB) manned office which is available at almost all train stations and all airports in Switzerland. If you select the pass for May 5th you can not use it on May 4th.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 16:14:40 #862680

Thanks, Lucas. So when I arrive Zurich airport, there’s a SBB booth that I can buy Swiss Pass?

But I thought Swiss Pass can only be bought outside Switzerland? I may have read wrongly…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 17:46:20 #862681

Yes, there is a large SBB office in which you can buy the Swiss Travel Pass. You don’t have to be outside the country to buy it, you just can’t be a Swiss passport holder. It may take a bit of waiting there if there’s a queue. Printing it at home is quicker.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 10:28:09 #862682

Thanks, Lucas. I managed to order Swiss half fare card from Happy Rail yesterday. The problem now is that I have not received the e-ticket and I’m flying an 2 hours time! They said they will send within 1 day. If I received it when I arrive Zurich airport, is there anywhere I can go to print out the e-ticket?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 17:36:58 #862683

I would go to the SBB office at Zurich airport and show them the emailed ticket and they should be able to help you print it out.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 May 2017 at 18:11:38 #862684

Hi Lisa,

You should receive the e-ticket within one business day, but do note that you’re in Singapore and they’re in Europe so there is a time difference. There are several service desks at the airport. The one at car park P2 offers copying services which I suppose includes printing, but probably the other service desks can help you out too, as well as the SBB office. Also there are two “Aspire Lounges” to work, print, etc. but an entrance fee applies there.

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 21:47:01 #862685

Thanks, all for the advices 🙂 I managed to receive the e-ticket before my flight and had it printed at the Singapore airport before flying off. I really enjoyed my stay in Interlaken, everywhere is so beautiful! Will visit other places in Switzerland next time 🙂

• The thread ‘Buying a Swiss rail pass 2 days prior to arrival’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.