10 days hiking in Bernese Oberland and Ticino

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2019 at 14:17:15 #823016

Hi MySwissAlps!

My husband and I (hikers in our early 30s) have worked out the following itinerary for our backpacking trip to Switzerland in August. We initially planned on doing the Tour de Mont Blanc, so doing a thru-type hike is one of our compromises, and the reason for so many hotel changes:

Day 1: Arrive in Zurich, travel to Winderswil for overnight stay

Day 2: From Winderswil, tram to Schynige Platte, hike to First (Faulhorn for lunch), gondola to Grindelwald for overnight stay

Day 3: From Grindelwald , take cable car to Mannlichen, walk to Kleine Scheidegg (Restaurant Bahnhof for lunch), train to Wengen for overnight stay

Day 4: Rest day in Wengen

Day 5: Travel to Brienz or Interlaken for overnight stay (depends on Day 6)

Day 6: Highlight of our trip – hiking a part of the Brienzergrat/Hardergrat ridge. We can either (1) start in Brienz, tram to Rothern Kulm, hike toward Harder Kulm, descend at Lombachalp, or (2) start in Interlaken, tram to Harder Kulm, hike toward Rothern Kulm, descend at Lombachalp, travel to Day 5 hotel for overnight stay

Day 7: Travel to Lauterbrunnen, hike to Stechelberg, tram to Murren, overnight in Murren or Lauterbrunnen for overnight stay

Day 8: Travel to Locarno to explore Valle Verzasca, overnight in Locarno

Day 9: Valle Verzasca, overnight in Day 8 hotel

Day 10: Travel to Zurich

Day 11: Fly home from Zurich

We have Bern and Luzern as day trips in case of bad weather on any given day.We need help with the following:

1. Is this itinerary doable, any suggestions for improvement?

2. Other than swimming, any other suggestions for days 8 and 9?

3. Should we switch out any of the days above for (1) Tram/hike from Meiringen to Gross Scheidegg (lunch at Rosenlui) to Grindelwald, (2) visit to Engadine to see Fex Valley, or (3) trip to Montreux for swimming/dining?

Thank you so much in advance!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

pvonk
    Participant
    384 posts
    23 July 2019 at 15:40:17 #918490

About day 3: the gondola between Grindelwald Grund and Männlichen will be closed in 2019 because of construction works.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 July 2019 at 12:36:16 #918491

Hi Vvhiker,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. It’s certainly doable. Just keep in mind that there is no guarantee for good weather, so be flexible: http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather. There will be a replacement bus on day 3 as you can see in the link. The hike on day 3 is very short by the way. Which is fine, just making sure it fits your plans 🙂 http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

Personally I’d do the Brienzergrat hike first, as it’s on the way to Wilderswil. I’d then pick one base in the Jungfrau region instead of several, as everything is nearby. But that’s just me!

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

2. Please see the above link.

3. It’s all beautiful! I can only recommend to explore these areas online, pick one, and come back on another trip to see more 🙂

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    25 July 2019 at 23:48:41 #918492

Hi,

As Arno suggests, do the Brienz section first, but at the very least, change the order to Wengen – Lauterbrunnen (your Day 7 itinerary) – Brienz. Your current plan has a bit too much backwards and forwards. What might look like a shorter distance between 2 points on a map doesn’t work out that way in the mountains because transport networks go along the valleys which can make the practical distance a lot longer.

Cheers

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2019 at 23:40:38 #918493

VVhiker, I would love to hear your trip report as my husband and I are doing a similar trip in lieu of the Tour de Mont Blanc. We are doing a 3 night hut to hut in Apenzell before heading to B-O and staying in Wengen for 4 days of day hikes. We will do Kandersteg to Griesalp, as well as Schynige Platte to First. The Hardergrat ridge is also appealing to us but I want to do an easier section and not the whole thing. I would also have loved to squeeze Valle Verzasca into our 10 days but it would not be doable unless we cut out Appenzell. We go first week of September so we it would be great to hear your experience. Have a wonderful trip.

• The thread ‘10 days hiking in Bernese Oberland and Ticino’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.