Hiking with baby in Jungfrau region in March?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 10:50:50 #814472

Hello.

I’ve found this website very helpful for information. I was wondering if I can get some advise re traveling with our 6month old baby.

We’re staying in Lauterbrunnen from 16th to 20th March, with the aim to see nearby towns such as Wengen, Murren, Grindelwald and do some easy hikes. We don’t ski/do winter sports, so the trip really is to sightsee and enjoy the views. I have a few questions…

1. If we want to explore nearby towns as well as do short hikes, are there particular routes that you would advise? Eg take a cable car up to a town and do a short hike from there (that is baby friendly?)

2. In relation to the first question, what hiking trails will be suitable to do with a baby this time of the year? We will be putting her in a baby carrier.

3. Do you advise that we buy thermals etc or will layering be sufficient to keep our baby warm? And will warm leather boots be ok?

4. I am thinking of purchasing the Junfrau hiking and sledging pass. Do you think it will be worth it even if we will be restricted in going to places above an altitude of 2500metres with our baby with us (which seems to be the common advise)?

5. Knowing that this region really is to explore the outdoors, just wanted to ask if there are any other infant friendly places for us to go to especially if the weather is bad? eg indoor play areas etc or other infant-friendly activities you can suggest?

Many thanks in advance.

Carla

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2018 at 9:05:32 #877020

Hi Carla1686 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We have a list of popular hikes in the Jungfrau region here. It explains how to access them and elevation, difficulty etc.

The problem you will have is the snow levels. Some of the trails will be closed while others are opened but groomed snow -So good hiking boots or rent snowshoes.

It is currently -2 in Grindelwald today and I would expect the temperature to not be a lot warmer in mid/late March. Be prepared for around 0 degrees but maybe as high as 10. Once you go up from there the temperature will drop.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2018 at 9:06:54 #877021

Many thanks, Lucas. I’m nervous that I booked for the wrong time of the year. Here’s hoping we still have a good time!

Carla

Arno
    15478 posts
    26 February 2018 at 14:30:49 #877022

Hi Carla,

Any time can be a good time depending on your expectations. Here’s a bit more detail on that: http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

• The thread ‘Hiking with baby in Jungfrau region in March?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.