Where best to base ourselves on Lake Geneva

• Jenivis
    Participant
    13 posts
    10 October 2017 at 2:49:39 #813477

My husband and I are meeting up with my daughter husband and their 2 babies for 4 nights somewhere along Lake Geneva. Where best to base ourselves…Montreaux Vevey or Lausanne? Needs to be central and near train station.Thinking an apartment would work best. Don’t mind paying for a balcony and possible lakeview.Any suggestions? We need to make the right considered choice for our base cause our options will be limited by babies. My husband and I will do the trip to Zermatt also we all will do the chocolatre train and any nearby cog trains or lifts up the mountain. Is Montreaux our best bet? Is there enough in town to see and do.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2017 at 8:05:44 #870826

Hi Jenivis,

All three towns have rail stations, Vevey and Montreux are very close to each other. All three towns would work as bases to explore the Lake Geneva region – I might choose the town based on the accommodation that I want/need.

Montreux is the largest town and more convenient for taking the Chocolate train and then on to Zermatt (you’ll have to go to Montreux to connect to those place if you stay in Lausanne or Vevey).

Have a look at some hotel recommendations we have for Montreux here and Lausanne here.

For apartment searches try our links here.

Jenivis
    Participant
    13 posts
    10 October 2017 at 9:46:22 #870827

My thanks Lucas….i think Montreaux might work as best base. Now the challenge is to find an apartment for 4 adults and 2 babies for just 4 nights. Hope there’s enough to do in Montreaux itself when other options further afield are restricted by 2 infants.Together we then move on to Grindelwald where we have a chalet already booked for the next 5 nights. My real thanks for your reply.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2017 at 12:08:03 #870828

There is a lot to see and do around Montreux. What you can or want to do with the babies is a personal choice.

Be sure to visit our Montreux page for a list things to do in the area. 🙂

Jenivis
    Participant
    13 posts
    10 October 2017 at 22:20:40 #870829

Thanks Lucas….your advice is very valued and based on that we have decided to stay in Montreaux. Because of 2 infants we are looking at an apartment someehere in the city centre. In terms of best position I’m considering maybe a rental in La Verriere or another on the lake on the Grand Rue. We are coming all the way from Australia and ease and comfort in terms of position will be the key to this.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 October 2017 at 23:07:36 #870830

G’day Jenivis-

All thre of the towns that you mention -Vevey, Montreux and Lausanne – are quite hilly…on the side of a mountain.

There is public transport of course, but keep in mind the up and down in each town , since you have small children with you..

If you can read contour maps,this very complete and detailed map map will show you the steepness of the slope if you check each town:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=true,false&X=14 2782.21&Y=559519.43&zo om=8

I have opened the layer for public transport stops in the menus and zoomed in on Montreux. Zoom out to see the surroundings and the other towns..

And, turn off the transport stops as you do so because the clutter the screen.

This map is also quite useful, but it does not show altitudes or contour lines:

map.search.ch/?pos=560340,142586&z=12 8

You can find transport stops under Points of Interest/Traffic in the menus.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2017 at 23:22:23 #870831

My sister and I stayed in Vevey and thoroughly enjoyed it! Its a little less busy than Montreux and Geneva….walking distance throughout. We stayed at a hotel, but an apartment there would be fantastic.

• The thread ‘Where best to base ourselves on Lake Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.