Help! Which Rail Pass???

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2014 at 0:28:47 #806393

This whole rail pass thing is confusing to me. I’m just looking for some advice on which pass would be best/cheapest for me.

I’m traveling to Switzerland in July. I will be leaving Munich to go to stay in Murren for 5 nights. While in Murren I plan on doing lots of hiking, taking lots of mountain lifts to get to different hikes. I’m also interested in taking the train to the highest train station in Europe (I forget the name) and maybe go to the restaurant where the James Bond movie was filmed.

From Murren I go to Montreux for two nights to check out the jazz festival. I then travel to the airport in Geneva to fly to Madrid.

Which pass makes more sense for me: SWISS Pass or Berner Oberland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    27 May 2014 at 11:51:23 #840067

Hi toddsimon,

Did you check this page, as it explains about the process of selecting a pass? Apart from the tips found there, let me summarize both passes:

• The Swiss Pass covers a lot for free, nation wide: your transfer from the Swiss border to Mürren, all trains (e.g. to Grindelwald and Wengen), buses, boats and urban transport (e.g. in Montreux). Transport to the peaks like cable cars is reduced by 50%. The Jungfraujoch (highest train station) is reduced by 25% from Wengen. The Schilthorn (James Bond) is 50% off from Mürren. It’s good to know that the Swiss Pass is now $50 cheaper if purchased online before June 6, which is really good value. See here for details, or this post for the discussion.
    • The Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland covers free traveling on almost anything, including transport to the peaks, around Mürren. However, there are exceptions and they happen to be on your wish list: the Schilthorn is not free but discounted like the Swiss Pass. The Jungfraujoch is also not free but discounted by 50% from Kleine Scheidegg. During your incoming trip, validity starts in Bern or Lucerne, so you need a regular ticket up until that point. Your transfer to Montreux is free until Saanen (near Gstaad) and 50% from there. The transfer to Geneva is not included so you need a regular ticket.

Please see the pass links for further details like prices and network maps of what’s covered. Personally I would prefer the Swiss Pass, especially now with the promotion. But you may want to look into the first page I gave you. What’s the cheapest option can only be determined with a detailed itinerary and comparing prices as explained there. If the costs for mountain lifts adds up the Regional-Pass may be the better choice.

• The thread ‘Help! Which Rail Pass???’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.