Help with Interlaken itinerary May 24-27

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2016 at 13:24:19 #808948

Hi,

I Need help with 4D 3N tinerary from May 24-27th.

Day 1: Paris -Interlaken via Basel 
Reach Interlaken at 1pm

Hotel Base at Interlaken

Do a Lake brienz cruise with stop at Geissbach Falls, head to lauterbrunnen for paragliding.

Day 2 
Check weather via webcams before going up jungfrau.
 From interlaken head to Wengen via lauterbrunnen. 
Rail/cable car Lauterbrunnen-Wengen-Mannlichen and hike Mannlichen-Kleine Scheidegg. Take train up to Jungfraujoch if weather conditions are okay. Return from Jungfraujoch to Lauterbrunnen via Grindelwald and Zweilutchinen. 
Head to first bahn mountain to go the tissot suspension bridge and the zipline. 

Any suggestion for Alternate itinerary for day 2? 

Day 3 
Check webcams before heading to schilthorn. 
Go up via Lauterbrunnen. Grutchalp/Murren cablecar to Grutchalp and walk to Murren through Winteregg. Explore Murren and take Schithorn cablecar to top and back (if weather permits). Upon return go through Gimmelwald to Stechelberg. Explore Trummelbach Falls before returning to Lauterbrunnen.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 April 2016 at 0:00:37 #850913

Hi Prisca –

Weathercams and info at train stations, hotels, and tourist offices is exactly correct. Glad you caught that.

<<“Day 2 
Check weather via webcams before going up jungfrau.
 From interlaken head to Wengen via lauterbrunnen. 
Rail/cable car Lauterbrunnen-Wengen-Mannlichen and hike Mannlichen-Kleine Scheidegg. Take train up to Jungfraujoch if weather conditions are okay. Return from Jungfraujoch to Lauterbrunnen via Grindelwald and Zweilutchinen. Head to first bahn mountain to go the tissot suspension bridge and the zipline. 

Any suggestion for Alternate itinerary for day 2?”>>

Perhaps I do not understand your plans, but that seems like a lot to fit into one day.

Especially since the Jungfrau region is not really on a summer schedule until about June 15. Can you get to First?

Please check the timetable to confirm the availability of transport for your plans.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 April 2016 at 7:24:59 #850914

Hi Prisca,

I agree that day 2 is quite full but it might be possible if you start early and check the schedules like Slowpoke recommended. I assume you know you need to book a paragliding flight in advance? It will depend on the time of that activity whether or not you can also include a boat trip on day 1.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 April 2016 at 18:39:58 #850915

H i Prisca-

I answered my own question about the cableway from Grindelwald to First. It will be running on your dates. Starts on April 30th.

At about 2160 meters, there may be significant snow left to block the trails.

This may help….watch the update given at the bottom of the page.

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/som mer/tourism/destinatio ns/kleine-scheidegg/hiking-trails/

and,

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/som mer/tourism/

and,

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/som mer/tourism/destinatio ns/grindelwald-first/experiences/

Howeevr, there is a distinct chance that Münnlichen to Kleine Scheidegg will not yet be open on those dates.

I was there on June 15th last year. It was open, but there was still a lot of snow around. Most years, you have to be lucky if it opens before June 1st. Good luck on that . It is a super hike.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 April 2016 at 20:43:06 #850916

Ooops-

“Männlichen.”

Sorry.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2016 at 14:02:43 #850917

hi all thanks for the replies have decided to change my itinerary base on your feedback

so for day 1 we will be going paragliding and then after deciding to go to harder klum

day 2 we will be going straight to jungfrau via wengen and returning via grindewald. then from grindewald would be heading to first bahn for sightseeing and activities.

alternate itineary for day 2 should jungfrau be cloudy is to head to zermatt to see matterhorn

day 3 will remain the same.

would welcome if the itinerary are alright or if you have any suggestions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 April 2016 at 17:41:32 #850918

Hi Prisca-

That itinerary should work. Hope the weather is good.

Ge the earliest possible trip to Jungfraujoch.

The town is spelled “Grindelwald.”

If you can fit it in your schedule, should you go to Zermatt, consider the very scenic upper route from Spiez via Kandersteg to brig to Visp, not the lower faster route through the new , boring, “basis” tunnel that comes out at Visp.

Use the timetable, as linked in my first post in this thread. Make sure to try it with “Kandersteg in the “via” or “connections” box.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2016 at 1:07:29 #850919

Hi slowpoke

ok noted. May I know between Matterhorn and schilthorn which mountain would you recommend for the time period I’m going.

thanks

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 April 2016 at 6:42:50 #850920

Hi Prisca –

That time is too far ahead to predict the weather. The weather may well determine your choice.

Arno and Annika are more familiar with Zermatt than I, and can offer a better perspective.

I don’t know enough about Zermatt to judge which cableways or mountain railways will be functioning. The timetable can help with that.

The cableways from Stechelberg to Schilthorn will be running.

Zermatt is at a higher altitude than Wengen or Grindelwald. The snows will linger longer into spring.

For a short visit such as yours, the Bernese Oberland offers many more easily accessible alternatives if mountaintop weather is cloudy. Zermatt is a smaller area, and more isolated from the low altitude regions.

Sorry that I cannot be more helpful.

Slowpoke

Annika
    7121 posts
    23 April 2016 at 8:06:03 #850921

Hi Prisca,

Mind that you can’t actually visit the Matterhorn itself, but there are several viewing points that allow for good views, such as http://www.myswissalps.com/go rnergrat and http://www.myswissalps.com/kl einmatterhorn. If weather is too bad for a visit to the Jungfraujoch, the nearby Schilthorn (http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn) isn’t likely to have better circumstances. So if weather forecasts for Zermatt are significantly better, you could do the scenic ride suggested by Slowpoke and see the Matterhorn. If forecasts don’t show much of a difference, you’d better pick a bad weather alternative closer to Interlaken (boat trips, Ballenberg Open Air Museum, etc.).

• The thread ‘Help with Interlaken itinerary May 24-27’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.