Help with a 6 day Itinerary starting in Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2014 at 18:21:30 #806541

Hi there,

I was wondering if you could please help me plan an itinerary. My husband and I are coming to Switzerland on 25th Aug- 31st Aug (next month) from South Africa. We arrive in Geneva. Our main interests are the Alps/hiking/outdoor activities/lakes as opposed to cities/shopping and museums.

We’re thinking of getting the train to Lausanne or Bern on day 1 (from Geneva) and staying in one of those places for the night and then finding a base to stay in the Interlaken/Bernese Oberland/Jung frao/ Lauterbrunnen area for the next 5 nights.

Once we find a base then we would like to do the following day trips:

1. Lucerne & Mt Pillaus & Rigi

2. Jung frau

3. Zermatt

And then probably get the train on the 31st back to Geneva and explore Geneva for the day.

Are we missing anything out? Do you have suggestions for a place to base ourselves in for 5 nights in the Interlaken/mountain area that is reasonably priced?

Thank you so much,

Sarah

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    29 July 2014 at 16:41:32 #840731

Hi Sara,

Interlaken or a nearby town would be a good base for the trips you’ve planned. Day trips to Pilatus, Rigi, Jungfraujoch and Zermatt are possible, although you’ll have to deal with long travel times in some cases. You can best consult the timetable to find out which travel times are reasonable to you. Alternatively, you may consider spending one or two days in Lucerne to visit Rigi and Pilatus, and then move on to Interlaken. If this appeals to you, you might just as well get straight to Lucerne on your first day from Geneva, without an extra stop in Lausanne or Bern. That way you’ll also save time otherwise spent on checking in, unpacking, etc. in an extra hotel. A day trip to Zermatt is possible from either Lucerne or Interlaken, but takes lots of time. Just realize that the Lake http://www.myswissalps.com/lucerne/activities”>Lucerne and Jungfrau region have more than enough to offer for a 5 or 6 day trip! Personally, I’d only travel to Zermatt if weather was considerably better there than in your base region. Not because Zermatt isn’t worth it, but because there are so many activities close at hand.

As for reasonably priced accommodation: you’ll be traveling in high season and tourist hotspots such as Lucerne and Interlaken can be expensive. There are budget options though: please browse this list and look into the hotel options for Lucerne and Interlaken.

Once your plans are set, it would be wise to look into Swiss rail passes: buying a pass will definitely be worth your money. A Swiss Saver Flexi Pass might fit your needs best, but again, that depends on your
    finalized travel scheme. Here’s how to decide.

I hope this helps you plan your trip!

• The thread ‘Help with a 6 day Itinerary starting in Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.