I would like to start by thanking this website and the amazing people who contribute to it. It is really a wealth of resources, especially for first time travellers like us. I have gone though many posts and articles on this website but so far have not been able to figure out my itinerary.
Me and my wife have planned a 18 day trip to Europe. We start from Paris next week, on the 23rd and then move on to Switzerland, Amsterdam, Brussels and fly to Mumbai, India from there. Our plan right now is to take a train from Paris on 28th, and reach Zurich by 4 pm. Explore the city, spend the night there, and next morning move to Lucerne, spend a night there (29th) and then move to Interlaken the next day. Stay at Interlaken for 3 nights (30th, 1st, 2nd) and then move to Basel on 3rd. Explore Basel, stay the night there (3rd), and then catch a morning flight to Amsterdam.
We are aware that this is not the best time to visit the country, but it's not like this is our only trip. This is our first trip where we just want to get the feel of this beautiful country and be back real soon with much more time at hand.
Now the questions we need help on-
1.Does the route make sense ? Or are there better suggestions in the given time. I am totally open to this.
2. Should we drop Lucerne and just make Interlaken our base ? In Interlaken, from what I gather from the forums, the real beauty is in the villages Gimmelwald, Mürren or Lauterbrunnen. How feasible is it to make any of these places our base and travel around ? We want to keep the trip relaxed, feel the place rather run around ticking checkboxes.
3. We think any one of Pillatus, Titlis and Jungfraujoch would be enough for this trip. Which one would you suggest and from where ?
4. From what I have gathered, Glacier Express wont be running in our travel days. That is a real bummer, but what other scenic train routes can we explore ?
5. We have been strongly recommended to visit Gstaad. Will it be possible in this trip ?
6. We will be taking a Eurail Select 3 country pass, and I think that would be enough and I dont need to buy a Swiss Pass on top of that. Hope that is correct ?
7.The only reason to go to Basel is that we are getting cheap flights to Amsterdam. Since we have a Eurail Pass, we don't mind taking a night train to Amsterdam but there doesn't seem to be any direct ones. Any suggestions on this ?
8.Any suggestions for apartments or hotels also will help. We ideally wanted to stay in a cottage with a scenic backdrop.
Apologies for the long post, but with last minute planning, this forum is my best bet.
Thanks in advance.