Help planning a day in Montreux and Vevey

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 21:53:54 #816336

Hi!

I would love some help in planning out the order of my day in Montreux. I would also love any suggestions for restaurants for lunch and dinner!

I will arrive via train from Bern to Vevey. I have a chocolate making workshop from 9:00-11:00am. After that, I am unsure of the order in which I should try to see things in the area. Here is what I have so far:

• Walk around Vevey (unsure of what to do while here, so any suggestions are welcome!)
    • Chateau de Chillon
    • Walk along the flower path (Chemin Fleuri) on the way (or on the way back from) Chateau de Chillon
    • Take a boat ride from Chillon back to Montreux (or on the way to Chillon)
    • Twin high peaks
    • Rochers de Nnaye
    • Gardens of Montreux Palace
    • Walk along the lake promenade
    • La Rambertia Alpine Garden
    • Gorges du Chauderon
    • Old town area of Montreux
  • Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 2:46:53 #886882

>> Walk around Vevey (unsure of what to do while here, so any suggestions are welcome!)

Vevey has a lovely waterfront promenade with lake and mountain views. There is also a beautiful historic carousel on the waterfront. The picturesque “old town” area (Rue du Lac) is close to the waterfront too.

>> Chateau de Chillon Walk along the flower path (Chemin Fleuri) on the way (or on the way back from) Chateau de Chillon

I prefer to walk from Montreux towards the castle, so it is in front of you instead of behind you.

>> Take a boat ride from Chillon back to Montreux (or on the way to Chillon)

You can check timetables here:

http://www.cgn.ch/en/

>> Rochers de Naye
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/rochersdenaye

The trip will take about 50 minutes each way. You can use the Swiss Timetable to plan it:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

(Use the one on the right with the red SBB logo.)

To plan the order of seeing the sights, using a map is the best idea. I doubt whether you will be able to fit in everything on your list. Google maps can give you estimated walking times to get from one place to another. By zooming in, you will also see where the bus stops are, including their official name and what buses stop there. You can then use that information in the Swiss Timetable (link above) to get routes and travel times if you need to use public transport to get to places on your list.

Alpenrose

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 May 2018 at 14:14:24 #886883

Hi Ahollowa,

I’d recommend to concentrate on the lake front area when in Montreux. The walk to the castle is really nice. There’s not really an old town area. Well, a very tiny one that would be ok to skip: map.search.ch/?pos=559921,142573&z=40 96. I can’t recall another area that would qualify as “old town”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 20:47:28 #886884

Thank you both very much for the advice. I think I will plan on structuring my day like this:

• Arrive in Vevey from Bern via the 6:34-8:03 train on platform 5.
    • Enjoy breakfast at either the local Tuesday morning market or a local cafe upon arrival
    • Laderach chocolate making workshop from 9:00-11:00am
    • Vevey sightseeing
      • Walk along the Rue du Lac as mentioned by Alpenrose666 and the waterfront as wel
    • Transfer via train to Montreux and check into our Hotel, Eurotel Riviera to drop off our luggage (we are only bringing a backpack, I wanted to travel light)
    • Walk from our hotel along the Chemin Fleuri to the Chaeau de Chillon
    • Tour the Chateau du Chillon (I have read on this forum that the audio guide for 6CHF is quite worth it, so I am planning on purchasing one for my mother and I)
    • Transfer back to Montreux via a boat ride

The rest of the day I will do as time/weather permits

• Transfer to Rochers de Naye (I have read on this forum that this is not included in the Swiss Travel Pass and is only 50% off for a cost of $28.50 CHF)
    • La Rambertia Alpine Garden
    • Walk along the lakeside promenade
    • Dinner at either Caveau des Vignerons or Restaurant Du Pont
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 20:48:22 #886885

Also, I wanted to give a special thank you to Arno for that link with the map! It is extremely useful in planning out the order in which to do activities!

• The thread ‘Help planning a day in Montreux and Vevey’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.