Milan to Davos via Bernina Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2017 at 15:47:40 #813665

Need help with travel between Italy and Switzerland. I’m able to leave Milan on Sat 6 Jan by about 1 p.m. and need to be in Davos by Sunday night, 7 Jan. Rather than fly, I want to go via the Bernina Express route. I was thinking of spending the night of 6 Jan in Tirano, and then continuing the next morning to Filisur. From there, I’d take a train to Davos. I will be with my wife and two young children.

1. Is this a good itinerary? Should I stay somewhere else other than Tirano? Should I just stay in Milan 6 Jan and complete the entire journey on 7 Jan?

2. It appears the Bernina Express leaves Tirano at 1425. It gets dark around 1640. Is it even worth it at that hour? Would I be better off on a regional train leaving Tirano earlier?

3. If I get the Bernina Express ticket, can I use the same ticket to board earlier regional trains and get off and on?

4. I’ve heard of regional trains having special red Bernina cars? Is this a real thing? If so, how do I book?

5. Are there any sites or agencies that can arrange my entire journey from Milan to Davos, including the Bernina segments?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2017 at 19:57:25 #871915

Hi wephillips and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. It would be a long, long day to do Milan to Davos in one day. I would split it up. Tirano would make the most sense as a stop for the night. I don’t think the town itself is a destination of itself so I wouldn’t hurry to get there necessarily.
    2. Your timings are correct – I would be tempted to take a regional train earlier as well (it is the exact same route).
    3. You only need to buy a ticket from Tirano to Davos. It is valid for any train that day including the Bernina Express train if you wish. If you take the Bernina Express though, you need to add a mandatory reservation.
    4. I’m not 100% sure about the red Bernina cars…but often the Bernina Express train has regional train carriages on it as well (or vice versa however you want to look at it) which may be what you mean. But the only departure with Bernina Express carriages (panoramic) is at 14:26 on Jan.7.
    5. We list some companies here where you can buy tickets from Italy to Switzerland.
    rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 November 2017 at 20:23:38 #871916

Hi wehillips,

Perhaps for your question 4 you are referring to the new rolling stock which has been introduced between Chur and St Moritz?

”Guests can now experience the numerous highlights along the Albula Line – from the breathtaking nature to the im- pressive viaducts – from the comfort of the RhB’s new artic- ulated Alvra trains. A photographers’ viewing area with extra large picture windows, a special family section with a chil- dren’s play area, a leisure section for mountain bikers, hikers and sledgers and a modern train information system com- plete the range of offers.”

See contura.rhb.ch/en/edit ion/id-201617/the-new-articulated-alvra-train.html

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 November 2017 at 21:22:48 #871917

Attached may also be relevant. Maybe Lucas can interpret it better than I can.

It is an extract from this 2018 RHB Sale Brochure http://www.rhb.ch/fileadmin/u ser_upload/redaktion/D okumente/Verkaufshandb uch/verkaufshandbuch_e n_2018_A4.pdf

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2017 at 9:31:53 #871918

If I’m reading it correctly, then they are adding “panoramic” train carriages to regional trains in the winter only, between St. Moritz and Tirano. For only a 5chf surcharge as well which is nice.

It sounds the proper Bernina Express train won’t be operating during those dates and towns.
    Interesting. Sounds like a money saver – no pamphlets, no PA announcements etc. But at least the windows stay!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 November 2017 at 9:34:50 #871919

The Bernina Panoramic is now a winter thing! Glad you could make sense of it Lucas.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2017 at 11:55:18 #871920

Yes, it is similar to last year with a few changes:

– Chur to St. Moritz is serviced by the new Alvra trains (perhaps not all trains though). http://contura.rhb.ch/ en/edition/id-201617/the-new-articulated-alvra-train.html

– There is one Bernina Express in the winter from Chur to Tirano and back. And an occasional one from St. Moritz during holidays. This might be slightly different than before, but it was always limited in winter.

As noted above, regional trains between St. Moritz and Tirano will have a panoramic carriage in the winter season (a small supplement required to use those carriages). We have a note on our Bernina Express page on these panorama cars under “more on other websites”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 November 2017 at 14:38:29 #871921

Check this link has an ofert for the Bernina Express plus free meals in Tirano

http://www.rhb.ch/en/tickets-travelcards/promotions /bernina-express-special-offer

1 Tirano is a nice place to stop and much cheaper than Suitzerland.

2 Yes Bernina leaves Tirano at 14:25

• The thread ‘Milan to Davos via Bernina Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.