Nov 13, 2017 - 3:47 PM
Need help with travel between Italy and Switzerland. I'm able to leave Milan on Sat 6 Jan by about 1 p.m. and need to be in Davos by Sunday night, 7 Jan. Rather than fly, I want to go via the Bernina Express route. I was thinking of spending the night of 6 Jan in Tirano, and then continuing the next morning to Filisur. From there, I'd take a train to Davos. I will be with my wife and two young children.
1. Is this a good itinerary? Should I stay somewhere else other than Tirano? Should I just stay in Milan 6 Jan and complete the entire journey on 7 Jan?
2. It appears the Bernina Express leaves Tirano at 1425. It gets dark around 1640. Is it even worth it at that hour? Would I be better off on a regional train leaving Tirano earlier?
3. If I get the Bernina Express ticket, can I use the same ticket to board earlier regional trains and get off and on?
4. I've heard of regional trains having special red Bernina cars? Is this a real thing? If so, how do I book?
5. Are there any sites or agencies that can arrange my entire journey from Milan to Davos, including the Bernina segments?