Help with Children’s Co-travelcard with Tell Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2019 at 19:45:17 #822116

Hello !

Family of 5 (kids 11, 8, 6) traveling from Zurich to Lucerne. Stay in Lucerne for 5 days, then travel to Basel for TGV to Paris.

Planning to get a Tell Pass (http://www.tellpass.ch/en/sho p/) for 2 adults. The tell pass site offers a children’s pass for CHF 30 (“from two to ten days’ unrestricted travel”). The SBB site offers a Children’s Co-travelcard” for the same price, valid for a year.

Question: Can we use the SBB children’s card with the tell pass for our kids instead of the Tell pass-specific children’s card? Asking because we could then use the SBB co-travel card for our Lucerne-Basel train leg, travel…

Thanks for the help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 June 2019 at 21:12:48 #914513

Hello CHFUSA200 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Interesting question. I would say the answer is yes because the adult Tell Pass must be considered a valid ticket in SBB parlance. But you probably want the Junior Travel Card if the kids belong to you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2019 at 2:55:45 #914514

Yes I see the difference b/t the junior and children’s pass … but they are effectively the same thing.

I guess I was worried the tell pass wouldn’t be considered a “ticket”. And I’m also not sure whether the junior card would enable free kids travel at Titlis and pilatus, Rigi …

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 June 2019 at 3:04:36 #914515

I must admit I am speculating. Never seen that question asked before.

The easiest way to find out for sure would be email SBB to confirm or otherwise.

If the answer is negative the kids fares to Basel will only be CHF17 each (they travel half-fare anyway).

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 June 2019 at 5:00:21 #914516

One more thought – at http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/railpasses/jun ior-travelcard-children-co-travelcard.html it says “The Junior Travelcard is valid anywhere within the Half Fare travelcard area. Children may also use these to travel free or at a reduced price on many tram and bus routes of local transport services.” That area includes Pilatus, Titlis and Rigi. You can download the map on that page to see the coverage area.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2019 at 14:17:24 #914517

Hello CHFUSA200,

As you say you are planning to buy the Tell Pass please note that the Junior Travel Card is NOT valid together with the Tell Pass, see following link:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpass/price, first bullet point

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2019 at 15:46:30 #914518

Thanks for your help! I did email SBB as you suggested, and they responded quickly with a very definitive answer:

Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you for your query.

The Junior travelcard is valid for free travel in combination with an adult Tell Pass. All lifts and Titlis as well are including. If you have the Junior travelcard you don’t need to purchase the additional childrens’ pass.

Kind regards

Swiss Federal Railways SBB AG
    Contact Center

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2019 at 15:59:44 #914519

Dear CHFUSA200,

Thanks a lot for the update on this information and SORRY for the misleading input I gave.

Best,
    Steph

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 June 2019 at 16:19:18 #914520

Hi CHFUSA200,

That’s interesting information, as I am sure that this combination was not allowed until very recently. I’ll see what I can find out, but if SBB says it’s ok then I guess it is. It’s still not allowed for the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland, for example.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2019 at 17:40:54 #914521

Steph — where did the information you pointed to come from?

I also received an affirmative answer for junior card/ chidlren’s co-travelcard + adult tell pass from Luzern Tourismus AG – Tourist Information Luzern:

Hello

Thank you very much for your message and the interest shown in Lucerne. We are pleased to send you the desired information by e-mail.

Yes, the Children’s Co-travelcard will be vaild together with the adult Tell Pass. You don’t need to buy a Tell Pass for children additional.

We hope this information is useful for you, please do not hesitate to contact us again if you have any further questions.

Yours sincerely

Lucerne Tourism

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 June 2019 at 8:39:17 #914522

Just to be sure I emailed Tell Pass. They said . . .

Thank you for for your e-mail and the interest shown in Lucerne. We are pleased to send you the desired information by mail.

Yes, the Junior Card is valid together with the Tell Pass. The Junior Card is always valid if the chlidren are accompanied by a parent with a valid ticket (as an example Tell Pass) once they travel.

We hope this information is useful for you, please do not hesitate to contact us again if you have any further questions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    10 June 2019 at 9:34:01 #914523

Hi CHFUSA200,

The information came from the Tell-Pass organization itself, and was correct until recently apparently. The Junior travelcard was not allowed and that’s why they required everyone to buy a children’s version of the Tell-Pass, which costs the same by the way (CHF 30). I think they changed this limitation as of 1 April 2019, but I am not sure yet. The Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland is now the last one not allowing the Junior travelcard as far as I know, but that may change too.

• The thread ‘Help with Children’s Co-travelcard with Tell Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.