Rail pass Zurich, Luzern, Interlaken and Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2017 at 6:41:12 #810913

Please guide me which pass should I buy as we land in

7 oct Zurich that day I want to travel to Lucerne.

8 oct mt pilatus trip

9 oct – rigi or any other place which is better

10 oct -Lucerne to Zermatt: Lucerne – Göschenen (Gotthard Panorama Express), Göschenen – Andermatt (cogwheel train), Andermatt – Zermatt (Glacier Express). — this is not sure***

11 oct – travel to interlakenmatthern trip

12- mt jaunfr

13- Schilthorn (travel to Zurich)

14 – depart zurich

Could you help me which pass should i buy– should i buy regional pass/ tell pass/ half fare/ swiss travel pass which would be more economical.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2017 at 9:14:49 #859417

Hi Anushrim,

The only pass that will cover your entire trip would be the Swiss Travel Pass. You can take a look at our page on how to choose the best train pass here. You could do the math to see if buying a regional pass plus a couple of point to point tickets is a little cheaper but I think the 8 day STP is your best bet.

You can take a look at our hotel suggestions for each town under the “hotels” tab for Luzern (local German spelling), Zermatt, Interlaken and Zurich.

If you have further questions about the pass or hotels listed above let me know!

regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2017 at 12:08:11 #859418

Thanks Lucas

Another query what is swiss transfer ticket.. is it mandagory to buy. .. even when my hotel in zurich is dropping me and picking me..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2017 at 16:46:13 #859419

Hi Anushrim,

No, the Swiss Transfer Ticket is not mandatory – it is a ticket from any Swiss airport or border town to any town in Switzerland. It is popular for people only traveling to one town after arriving in Switzerland (like people on ski holidays).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2017 at 22:34:19 #859420

Thanks again..

Just reclarifying — I woul dneed to buy the swiss travel pass

when I reach Zurich airport, I can leave the airport and catch train to Lucerne with my SWISS pass no need of any other pass to buy.

Could you tell me the best way to reach Lucerne from ZUrich airport.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2017 at 7:40:37 #859421

Hi Anushrim,

I would just buy the Swiss Travel Pass and no need for any other tickets or passes. While it covers all train routes in Switzerland, be sure to note that some routes are only discounted (like going to Jungfraujoch from Wengen or Grindelwald where you must still buy a ticket but you get a 25% discount). Read through the areas of validity for the Swiss Travel Pass here.

For the train route, enter your date of travel and Zürich Flughafen and Luzern as the “from” and “to” towns on the Swiss railway timetable here. You will then be given the train schedule for this route and you can see when the trains to Luzern depart Zurich airport (Flughafen in German).
    With your Swiss Travel Pass printed out you can just jump on any train you want.

Did you mean Swiss Travel Pass when you wrote SWISS pass ? As I mentioned above you only need to buy the Swiss Travel Pass.

I hope that makes sense,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2017 at 22:44:59 #859422

Thanks Lucas..

Is it safe to travel during late evening/night in Lucerne (city – in the chapel bridge area) as in after a trip if we come late to the city?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2017 at 8:11:23 #859423

Hi anushrim,

Oh yes, Switzerland is extremely safe – I have a feeling it is the safest country in the world. I would not be concerned traveling at night in Luzern (local German spelling).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2017 at 0:06:39 #859424

Another question as I am travelling with my 2 year old daughter .

can I take her to the mounts titlis, jungfr… etc — is she allowed??

do I have to buy extra ticket or swiss travel pass for her to vivist the mounts??? or she is free??

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 March 2017 at 10:20:59 #859425

Hi anushrim,

Kids are allowed everywhere but in case of children under 2 years one has to be careful. You’ll find this explained on our Titlis and Jungfraujoch pages.

If buy a Swiss Travel Pass you can request for a free Swiss Family Card while ordering. That will get children from 5 to 15 free traveling. But 2 year olds don’t even need that card. They travel for free anyway.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2017 at 22:45:34 #859426

how is the gornergrat bahn/ mattherhrn . during October..??

And also Titlis/ Pilatu/ Jungfr during October

Is it very cold???

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2017 at 8:08:57 #859427

Hi Anushrim,

Typically, they would be fairly cold at those high elevations in October – generally it will be cold at the mountain tops year round so dress accordingly!

Lucas

• The thread ‘Rail pass Zurich, Luzern, Interlaken and Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.