Swiss Travel vs. BO Regional Pass with teenagers

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2019 at 1:35:48 #823957

Hello,

Ive spent many, MANY hours reading up on the various passes, and at this point I can honestly say I am more confused then when I started (ha ha).

It will be me, my 16 year old, and my 12 year old. I understand my 12 year old will be free, and the 16 year old will pay the reduced rate.

We will be there for 6 days total – day 1 will just be travelling from Zurich airport to Wengen, and day 6 will just be travelling from Wengen to Zurich, with 4 full days in between, staying in Wengen.

I have a pretty good idea of my plans for the 4 days:

1) Wengen – Grindelwald – Mt. First activities (flyer, glider, etc.), Toboggan at Pfingstegg, Glacier Gulch – then time in Grindelwald – trails, hikes, lunch (or dinner depending on the time) before heading back to Wengen for the evening.

2) Wengen to Schiltorn – activities such as thrill walk, sky walk, etc. – then down to Murren – Lauterbrunnen – Trummelbach Falls, then back to Wengen.

3) Wengen to Interlaken – boat to Thun – St. Beatus Caves, and Spiez.

4) Wengen – Interlaken – Golden Pass to Lucerne. Not sure if we will visit Pilatus or Rigo, or just stay around Old Town. My son really likes old, obscure, medieval type stuff so we may just wander around.

So, It looks like for the Swiss Travel Pass my 16 y.o would pay adult price, so the total would be $521 for a 4 day pass, whereas for the BO pass, he would pay child price, bringing the total to $310. And the Half Fare card would be $236. The jungfrau travel pass would be $440.

Honestly, I don’t know how anyone can understand all of this! It’s mind-boggling.

Since the STP only comes in 4-day and and then skips to 8-day, and the price jumps from 521 for 4 day to 775 for 8 day. I’m thinking it would be less expensive to get the 4 day pass and then just pay for our tickets to/from Zurich airport? But then I read something about a Transfer option, so now I’m even more confused.

This will be for next June (2020) if that matters. If anyone can give me some direction, I’d appreciate it. I’ve seen the spreadsheets out there but that seemed way too difficult to me. My problem is, I can say I need to go from Wengen to wherever – Interlaken, Lauterbrunning, Grindelwald, etc., but I have no idea what is involved in getting there. Train? Bus? Cable car?

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2019 at 6:05:01 #922559

Hello Lamb616 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Nice to hear you’re coming along with your kids to Switzerland!

Yes, finding the best rail pass for a Switzerland itinerary can be quite tricky, as the offers are very varied. Make sure you read the following link for a step by step instruction:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Some comments on your thoughts above.
    Your 12 year old will only be allowed to travel along for free if you get a Swiss Family Card, for which you’re only eligible, if you hold a Swiss Travel Pass OR a Swiss Half Fare Card:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issfamilycard
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass
    On the latter your 16 year old would get a 15% discount, as you will see in the “price” tab ob the link

For details on the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland see:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and

I’m afraid that you will have no other option than to use the spreadsheet for detailed calculations.

Maybe something like the following might be a good idea, but I did NOT do any detailed calculations:
    – For you a Swiss Half Fare Card, allowing you to get the Swiss Family Card for your younger child. This would also give you a 25% discount on the regional pass and a cheaper fare on the “Saver Day Pass”, a ticket which you could use for arriving to the Bernese Oberland.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass
    – For your 16 year old you could go for the discounted Swiss Travel Pass, or for the same combination as you, as he counts as an adult already in the rail system.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/discounts

Hope this provides some guidance.

To find out about the mode of transportation, use the timetable below, where it will be indicated, how you travel, by little symbols in each connection. In any case make sure to read well how it works, it’s a fabulous tool for planning.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Happy calculating and get back to us anytime.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2019 at 13:31:24 #922560

Ok, thanks, I will give it a shot.

If I don’t return, it’s because my head exploded, lol!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2019 at 13:48:03 #922561

Steph, can you help me with finding the price for my day 4 plan – Golden Pass from Interlaken to Lucerne? On the Happy Rail site, it says this:

Montreux – Zweisimmen = Golden Pass

Zweisimmen – Interlaken – Luzern = Regular trains =>

Can you not take the Golden Pass from Interlaken to Lucerne? And, if so, what is the difference between taking regular trains or taking the Golden Pass? I’m just confused if the prices that come up on the Happy Rail site are for Golden pass or regular trains.

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2019 at 14:12:52 #922562

This is what I have for Step 1 trips. does it look ok or do I need to break down further? And for the prices I just entered exactly what is below on the happy rail site, correct? The only regular price I don’t have is the boat to Thun.

Day 1 – Zurich Airport – Wengen (single)

Day 2 – Wengen to Grindelwald

Day 2 – Grindelwald to Wengen (return)

Day 3 – Wengen – Shilthorn

Day 3 – Schiltorn to Murren

Day 3 – Murren to Lauterbrunnen

Day 3 – Lauterburnnen to Wengen (return)

Day 4 – Wengen – Interlaken

Day 4 – Interlaken to Thun (boat)

Day 4 – Thun to Interlaken (return)

Day 4 – Interlaken to Wengen

Day 5 – Wengen to Lucerne Golden Pass (round trip)

Day 6 – Wengen to Zurich

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2019 at 18:07:48 #922563

here’s my last question, about the Golden Pass.

If :

Train from Saanen to Lucerne: free

Train from Montreux to Saanen: 50% off

Does that mean train from Interlaken to Lucerne is free???

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2019 at 8:56:29 #922564

Hi Lamb616,

The Golden Pass route is a “route” and not a specific train, so between Lucerne and Interlaken and Zweisimmen you travel on regular trains on that route, without the need of reserving seats. From Zweisimmen to Montreux reservations are recommended.

To state one of our top members, 1960 man:

“The Golden Pass rail route
    Current tourist branding can be confusing
    1) The true Goldenpass is just the MOB railway Zweisimmen – Montreux.

2) The Luzern – Interlaken railway is actually the Brünig Pass line operated by Zentralbahn (ZB), which dubs the regular trains “Luzern – Interlaken Express’. It’s OK but not spectacular scenery

3) The ‘bit in the middle’ (Zweisimmen – Spiez – Interlaken) is two branch lines of the full size main line BLS railway, with a mix of local trains (change at Spiez) and some through services Zweisimmen – Interlaken

A few facts about the Montreux – Zweisimmen railway – ie the MOB (Montreux-Oberland – Bernois):
    The Golden Pass is historically only Montreux – Zweisimmen, only more recent marketing branding takes the ‘Goldenpass route’ east of Zweisimmen to Interlaken and beyond to Luzern.”

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2019 at 8:58:18 #922565

Hello again Lamb616,

The best way to find the regular prices for Swiss trains is by searching the connection via the timetable provided below and then DOUBLING the price, because the default price on the timetable is the half fare card price:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2019 at 9:02:15 #922566

And again hello 🙂

The validity you mention in this post is only for the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland, which covers the journey Lucerne – Interlaken entirely, as you will see in below map:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and/validity

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2019 at 11:38:08 #922567

Thanks for your help. THis is just so overwhelming. Can you just tell me – looking at the map, all i see is dotted lines around Wengen (where we’re staying). Does that mean everywhere around and to Wengen is only 50% off with the STP? I’m just having a hard time pricing out the legs because obviously we’re leaving from and going back to Wengen every day. Are some portions of these trips only covered 50??

Day 1 – Wengen to Grindelwald –

Day 2 – Wengen to Murren –

Day 3 – Wengen to Interlaken –

Day 4 – Wengen to Lucerne –

And the prices that come up on the Timetable site are with the half fare card??? It doesn’t mention that anywhere, how would a person know that?!? lol. So the fare from Wengen to Interlaken Ost (one way) is NOT 14.40CHF, it’s 29CHF???

And then my other question, as I imagine I’m just going to go with the STP for both me and my son is the # of days. We are going to be 6 days total, but day 1 and day 6 are ONLY going to be travel to/from Zurich airport. Since the STP comes in 4 day and then 8 day pass, I didn’t think it would be worth it to get the 8 day pass when we really only need it for 4 days, plus transport to/from the airport. But The fares coming up from Zurich to Wengen are 52CHF so that means 104CHF each way? x 3 of us would be 312CHF each way. So 612CHF round trip? Does that sound right? And the added cost to go from a 4 day STP to an 8 day STP would be an extra 254CHF total for 2 passes. So obviously, it WOULD be worth it to get the 8 days, if I’m doing the calculations correctly, yes?

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    24 September 2019 at 15:48:43 #922568

Hi Lamb616

The Swiss Travel Pass covers your journeys as far as Wengen and Grindelwald, but if you travel further up the mountains from these villages these are the fares that are discounted. Therefore, your journeys will be covered as follows:

Day 1 – Wengen to Grindelwald – free with STP as long as you take the route via Lauterbrunnen and don’t take the route via Kleine Scheidegg or the Männlichen.

Day 2 – Wengen to Murren – this year the route with STP is free via Lauterbrunnen, but I don’t know what will be covered next year because the trip to the Schilthorn via Murren will no longer be free with STP.

Day 3 – Wengen to Interlaken – free with the STP

Day 4 – Wengen to Lucerne – free with the STP

I am not sure from where you are getting your fares, but according to the SBB mobile app and the Swiss Timetable the Half Fare Card fare from Wengen to Interlaken Ost is 7.20 CHF, full fare 14.40 CHF and the fare from Zurich to Wengen Half Fare Card fare is 42.40 CHF, full fare 84.80 CHF .

You really need to study the Validity Map again and check you have the correct fares in the spreadsheet before making a decision.

Jane

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2019 at 16:12:52 #922569

I am not sure from where you are getting your fares, but according to the SBB mobile app and the Swiss Timetable the Half Fare Card fare from Wengen to Interlaken Ost is 7.20 CHF, full fare 14.40 CHF and the fare from Zurich to Wengen Half Fare Card fare is 42.40 CHF, full fare 84.80 CHF .

I think some of the confusion is one of the previous posts said the fare that comes up is the Half Fare price, so to double it. But for Wengen to Interlaken, 14.40 comes up, not 7.20. So I DON’T need to double. So i may have to go back and recalculate everything now.

But, i think i’m getting it now. My main confusion was the Wengen part, and I think all my other plans are fully covered, so thank you for spelling it out for me.

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    24 September 2019 at 17:08:24 #922570

Hi Lamb616

There is no confusion. Steph was correct when she warned you to double the first price that comes up on the SBB timetable as it always shows the Half Fare Card by default.

It is only when you click on the ticket that it shows the full price with options to buy a 1st Class ticket or add a rail pass. Most people don’t get past the first price shown when completing the spreadsheet and need to be warned about the default setting. I still don’t know where you got the 52CHF Half Fare Card price for the journey from Zurich to Wengen.

Jane

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2019 at 17:29:47 #922571

I’m not sure either, maybe I randomly picked a holiday or something. But when I do zurich to wengen right now, I see fares ranging from 20.20 to 49 under 2nd class. (see attached). I’m using the basic timetable from this link

So that is the Half Fare price?

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    24 September 2019 at 17:41:14 #922572

I think you would be advised to use the recommended SBB timetable rather than relying on Happyrail to find prices.

Jane

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2019 at 20:11:45 #922573

Hi Lamb616,

I agree with JaneEB that for the regular prices you’d better use the timetable as suggested!

And you know that about the half price standard on the SBB website, because I told you! 😉 The reason for this is that practically all Swiss residents hold a (residents only) annual Half Fare Card.

You won’t getting around checking the links and maps in detail I’m afraid to get a clear overview. Take you’re time, I’d say you’re well on track for planning.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2019 at 1:30:58 #922574

I have sat here for the past several hours doing this spreadsheet. I can’t keep my eyes open at this point. 😮 I added in every route and every attraction that we plan on going to that is offered discounts from one of the passes.

It looks like for the least expensive, Steph’s first guess was correct – Half Fare card for me and discounted 6 day BO Regional pass for my son, daughter free with family pass. My calculations for that come to CHF 859. However, I’m not crazy about the idea of having to stop and get discounted tickets with the Half fare card. It sounds like with the STP and the BO Regional Pass, you just wave your pass and go on through, correct? It would be a Pain in the butt to have to stop for my own ticket every time b/c I have the Half Fare pass.

Then the next option was all 6 day BO passes for the 3 of us; that comes to CHF 1000 ($460 each for me and son, $180 for daughter).

If me and my son both get 8-day STP, daughter free, that would come to CHF 1047.

BUT, if me and my son only get the 4 day STP, that would come to CHF 791. Then we would have to pay to/from the airport, which I haven’t figured out yet but from one of the above posts sounds like about CHF 160 for round trip? Not sure if my daughter would pay less, or if there are discount passes out there just for these 2 days. I’ll have to look into that tomorrow, but if either of you happen to know what the least expensive option would be for round trip from ZUrich to Wengen, I’d appreciate it.

Side note: Would hiring a car to bring us back and forth be a less expensive option?

Thanks for all your help. I got zero work done, and completely ignored my kids for most of the day. :p

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2019 at 1:41:58 #922575

Omg, I can’t stop adding numbers….

OR, I could get the Half Fare card for myself ($120) to get the discounted BO passes for both me and my son, and daughter free with the family pass. Total would be CHF 886.

OR

Half fare card (120), and 4-day discounted BO passes comes to CHF 792 but again, same as with the 4 day STP, we need to get to/from airport.

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    25 September 2019 at 5:11:00 #922576

Unless I am mistaken I make the 2nd class 8 day STP for you and your son come to 775 CHF. 418 CHF plus 357 CHF and not 1047 CHF as quoted in one of your previous posts. You and your son would both have to buy Swiss Half Fare Cards to both get discounts on BO pass. I am quite confused by all your calculations. It is easier to use the spreadsheet.

Jane

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2019 at 10:00:05 #922577

I did use the spreadsheet. Those are the totals once I add in what I’d have to pay for the things that aren’t 100% covered.

But you may be right, I may not have added in the cost of 2 Half fare cards to get the discounted BO pass…I’ll have to check that one.

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    25 September 2019 at 11:14:00 #922578

Sorry, I thought you were just calculating the price of the different passes and did not realise that you were also calculating the cost of cable cars, activities etc.

Have you downloaded the SBB app onto your phone yet? I found it very useful when looking for fares and routes when I was in the planning stages of our holiday and I believe you can buy your train tickets on the move whilst you are out there using the app. It also gives up to date information on which platform you need, stops on your journey and walking routes to bus stops, cable car stations, boats etc from train stations.

Good luck with your planning.

Jane

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • The thread ‘Swiss Travel vs. BO Regional Pass with teenagers’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.