Help with Swiss train pass and itinerary, 13 days

• Bless10s
    Participant
    33 posts
    26 February 2020 at 15:01:18 #825356

I have done some research for my family of 4 or 5 and now I am trying to figure out train passes and narrow down our number of days in certain areas. I will be traveling with my husband, 24 year old son and 21 year old daughter and possibly but probably unlikely my son’s fiancee. We are looking to be in Switzerland for 12 or 13 nights. I try to minimize packing and dragging our suitcases as we like to relax/hike but also like to see as much as we can.

We are not big museum people but don’t mind doing a few if highly recommended. We love lakes, mountains and nature but enjoy what cities offer especially, dining. We are all athletic with various orthopedic issues but we still like to hike, kayak, bike etc. We would like to tour a wine region, a castle or two and learn about chocolate. Sadly I am the only one that can eat cheese as the rest of the family is lactose intolerant/allergic to lactose.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it unreasonable to fly from the USA to Milan overnight and get on train the same day to the Ticino region?

2. If we stay in the Ticinio area, are we missing anything by not going to Lake Como (We have traveled to Venice, Florence/Tuscany area including Cinque Terre, Positano and Rome but never Northern Italy).

2. What city in Ticino would be a recommended place to stay for 2 or 3 nights and then head to Zermatt? Do you recommend 2 or 3 nights?

3. How many nights in Zermatt do you recommend 2 or 3?

4. From Zermatt I want to head to North or east end of Lake Geneva or Bernese Oberland area. I am torn between staying somewhere between Lausanne and Montreux or do we stay in the Interlaken area? Any thoughts? Do we split time between both or do we stay in the Interlaken area and rent a car so we can get to the wineries and Chateau Chillon or is it doable to see these by train or tour.

5. Are we missing anything by not staying in Geneva?

5. I would like to then travel to Lucerne for 2 or 3 nights. What is recommended?

6. Is it possible to take the Gotthard Panorama Express and eventually get to Milan the same day? I would like to get to MIlan and spend 1 or 2 nights before traveling back to the USA.

7. Because we are more than likely flying round trip out of Milan does it make sense to get a Swiss Travel Pass? Is the Gotthard Panorama Express included for an upgrade if we buy 2nd class passes?

7. I am also open minded to reversing the trip. We could go from Ticino to Lucerne to Bernese Oberland to Zermatt to Milan but it seems to be easier to get from Lucerne to MIlan. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for any help!!

• The thread ‘Help with Swiss train pass and itinerary, 13 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.