Help with 6-day Switzerland itinerary September 21

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2017 at 15:24:39 #813293

Dear Lucas,

Thank you for the quick reply. I am now thinking of getting a 6 day/ 4 day interrail or a 4 day swiss flexible pass and use the interlaken visitor guest card during the 3 days i am in interlaken for bus transport to Beatenberg(my acommodation for 3 nights). I have planned a brief itenary, which obviously needs polishiing and i hope you can help me out.

Day 1- Zurich airport-Thun lake, boat cruise to interlaken and go to beatenberg by evening. ( travelling with a 2 year old daughter so cant travel much.

D2- Use visitor card/ interrail card to go via wengen to jungfraujoch and hope to get a 25% discount via interrail pass( a few places in forum mentions discount, but interrail website doesnt mention). Come back via lauterbrunnen/Grindewald .

D3 /d4Use visitor pass/guest card to travel around Grindewald , First( but havent made a specific plan yet.(Query1)/ or can someone guide me ) or take one of the golden pass trains to Montreaux and back to interlaken. ( I am not sure as how to visit one of the cheese/chocolate factories.) (Query2).

D5-6 QUERY3 I have not booked acommodation for my 4th and 5th nights, and am open to book anywhere, thinking of Lucern/ Bern though. I want to visit mount titlis , which i think will be on D5 , and Day 6 see something (Query4) on my way to zurich to catch a flight at 9pm (so have the whole day).

Could someone please help with the queries and fill the gaps in the itenary

Thank You,

Dr Adarsh Bhulani

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 September 2017 at 15:42:48 #869944

Hello Dr Adarsh Bhulani,

Indeed the Interrail Switzerland Pass gets you a 25% discount on Jungfraujoch tickets: http://www.myswissalps.com/in terrailswitzerlandpass /validity

Note that most visitors cards only include local transport (or sometimes no transport at all but just activity discounts), so no long distance trips like Golden Pass trains. The Interrail Switzerland Pass and Swiss Travel Pass Flex do cover such trips (on a validated day). As for mountain trips, Interrail does not cover nearly as much as the Swiss Travel Pass. The First gondolas for example are not included, nor discounted, but the Swiss Travel Pass gets you a 50% discount.

To travel to the cheese and chocolate factories you can enter “Gruyères” and “Broc-Fabrique” as your destinations in the timetable.

Be sure not to allocate just one day for specific mountain trips like Mount Titlis. Such trips are only worth it if the weather is good. Staying longer in one place is best as that gives you some flexibility. Lucerne is a good base for lots of different day trips, and not too far from Zurich airport.

Are you really traveling in 3 days time? (I read that in the other thread) An Interrail Pass should be purchased online and shipped to you. Local purchase options are limited. A Swiss Travel Pass can be purchased at the station, but also online and printed at home (if you buy it today for the 21st). The Flex pass can’t be printed online.

I hope this was useful!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2017 at 20:50:26 #869945

Dear Arno,

Thank you for your quick reply. Yes, we are travelling in 3 days time, and there is a website that delivers interrail pass the next day (myinterrail). The only advantage of getting the interrail pas now is that i can get a 6 day pass, whereas , with the Swiss pass, i have to get a 8 day pass. We got a reply from one of the other forums to buy a Half fare card, which seems most reasonable as out travel will not be as extensive considering the 2 year old with us. The only thing is that i am not sure if it would be convinient to buy tickets each time, and i tried figuring it out from the sbb website.( it seems a bit difficult as i dont know the names of the places.)

Thank you for your advice with Lucern, and could you please help me if the panaromic trains are more expensive with the HFC as compared to the Swiss pass.

Thank you

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 September 2017 at 6:42:26 #869946

Hello Dr Adarsh Bhulani,

I didn’t realize you’re in the UK. In that case indeed http://www.myinterrail.co.uk will deliver the next business day. I’d recommend to check your total spendings rather than the duration of a pass. The Interrail passes are cheaper but also include less. Many people buy an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass for a shorter stay, if it makes sense economically. It includes more, even museums like the cheese and chocolate museums. So it’s a matter of doing the math based on your plan. Indeed the Swiss Half Fare Card is another option if you don’t mind buying tickets for each trip (which is certainly doable, but it’s not the same flexibility).

All trains are more expensive with the Swiss Half Fare Card, because you need a 50% discounted ticket. With the Swiss Travel Pass you don’t need a ticket at all. In both cases you may need to buy seat reservations in case of panoramic trains. That applies to all passengers and all types of passes and tickets.

The above links provide more details to finalize your planning.

• The thread ‘Help with 6-day Switzerland itinerary September 21’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.