Which rail pass for Frankfurt Brussels Switzerland

Which rail pass for Frankfurt Brussels Switzerland

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
robby
robby
4 posts
Jan 14, 2017 - 3:39 AM

Hi, My partner and I are travelling to Europe in May 2017.

We will need to get a train from Frankfurt to Brussels 28 April 2017

We then travel on a planned tour until 10th May When we arrive in Basel.

The trip so far is Basel to Lucerne for 2 nights 10 and 11 May.

Lucerne to Murren for 3 nights. 12, 13, 14 May with trip to Jungfraujoch and other sights.

Murren to Zurich 15th May for 1 night.

Then Zurich to Frankfurt via Basel (I assume) 0n 16th May for return home on 17th.

So in summary we are in Switzerland for 7 days. Plus the two big train trips when we arrive and when we leave as per above.

Should I buy a Swiss rail pass and then purchase the other two trips without a pass or is this a case for a combination pass. I am so unsure how to book. We want to catch the Golden Pass from Lucerne to Interlaken on the 13th. How do I book ahead with a train pass from Australia. Sorry. A bit confused.

Kind regards

Robby

Annika
Annika
4992 posts
expert &
Jan 14, 2017 - 11:09 AM

Hi Robby, thanks for joining us!

Yes, rail pass choices can be confusing indeed, but I'm sure there's a good match for your specific plans. For your stay in Switzerland I'd consider one of these options:

• an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass, which is the most convenient solution as it allows free traveling in trains/buses/boats throughout your stay. Most mountain transportation is discounted, some routes (such as Pilatus and Rigi near Lucerne, Schynige Platte near Mürren) are fully covered as well;
  • a Swiss Half Fare Card, allowing you to purchase 50% discounted tickets for each trip.

You need additional full-fare tickets for your trips in Germany/Belgium.

The Golden Pass leg between Lucerne and Interlaken doesn't require any reservations. Please refer to myswissalps.com/golden pass/tickets and myswissalps.com/train/ reservations.

Does this help you out?

robby
robby
4 posts
Jan 15, 2017 - 3:26 AM

Thank you so much Arno and Annika,

Great to have confirmation. I know this is a swiss sight but wondered if you could help me with regards booking and buying the two German train trips. So confused as some sights are much much more expensive than others. Am I missing something?

Kind regards and thank you again

Lucas
Lucas
8888 posts
expert &
Jan 15, 2017 - 8:42 AM in reply to robby

Hi Robby,

Take a look at our information page on train travel in Germany. There are pricing and promotional tabs there which you could find useful!

Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018