Which rail pass for Frankfurt Brussels Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2017 at 3:39:16 #810571

Hi, My partner and I are travelling to Europe in May 2017.

We will need to get a train from Frankfurt to Brussels 28 April 2017

We then travel on a planned tour until 10th May When we arrive in Basel.

The trip so far is Basel to Lucerne for 2 nights 10 and 11 May.

Lucerne to Murren for 3 nights. 12, 13, 14 May with trip to Jungfraujoch and other sights.

Murren to Zurich 15th May for 1 night.

Then Zurich to Frankfurt via Basel (I assume) 0n 16th May for return home on 17th.

So in summary we are in Switzerland for 7 days. Plus the two big train trips when we arrive and when we leave as per above.

Should I buy a Swiss rail pass and then purchase the other two trips without a pass or is this a case for a combination pass. I am so unsure how to book. We want to catch the Golden Pass from Lucerne to Interlaken on the 13th. How do I book ahead with a train pass from Australia. Sorry. A bit confused.

Kind regards

Robby

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    14 January 2017 at 11:09:43 #858039

Hi Robby, thanks for joining us!

Yes, rail pass choices can be confusing indeed, but I’m sure there’s a good match for your specific plans. For your stay in Switzerland I’d consider one of these options:

• an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass, which is the most convenient solution as it allows free traveling in trains/buses/boats throughout your stay. Most mountain transportation is discounted, some routes (such as Pilatus and Rigi near Lucerne, Schynige Platte near Mürren) are fully covered as well;
    • a Swiss Half Fare Card, allowing you to purchase 50% discounted tickets for each trip.

You need additional full-fare tickets for your trips in Germany/Belgium.

The Golden Pass leg between Lucerne and Interlaken doesn’t require any reservations. Please refer to myswissalps.com/golden pass/tickets and myswissalps.com/train/ reservations.

Does this help you out?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2017 at 3:26:07 #858040

Thank you so much Arno and Annika,

Great to have confirmation. I know this is a swiss sight but wondered if you could help me with regards booking and buying the two German train trips. So confused as some sights are much much more expensive than others. Am I missing something?

Kind regards and thank you again

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2017 at 8:42:06 #858041

Hi Robby,

Take a look at our information page on train travel in Germany. There are pricing and promotional tabs there which you could find useful!

Lucas

• The thread ‘Which rail pass for Frankfurt Brussels Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.