Herbriggen to Täsch hike worth it?

• wanderdiva
    Participant
    38 posts
    25 June 2019 at 6:52:05 #822464

Hi,

I will be visiting the Valais region this September for 4 full days to go to Matterhorn, Aletsch glacier, Kandersteg and do some easy hiking around the area. I will be based in Brig.

One of the days, I will be going to Oeschinensee in the first half and am looking at easy walks nearby for the afternoon. Initially, I thought of the Lauchernalp to Fafleralp hike but some sites show this as of moderate level. I am an amateur hiker.

In this site, I found the Herbriggen to Täsch hike which is graded easy. Will this hike have great nature scenery? Will it make sense to go all the way from Kandersteg to do this hike, considering the train ticket is quite high and takes approx an hour to reach.

If not, can you suggest any easy hike in the area with good scenery. Thanks in advance for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 June 2019 at 7:16:42 #916028

Hi Wanderdiva,

I classify this as a nice hike if you’re based in the area. It’s down in the valley so no wide panoramic views but more like forest/pasture/river/village scenery. Can be done in almost any weather, and no cable cars needed to start/end the hike.

If coming from farther away I’d prefer a higher walk if the weather allows, like http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/giw-gspon. More options are here: http://www.myswissalps.com/va lais/activities.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 June 2019 at 8:20:12 #916029

Hi Wanderdiva –

If you are exploring hikes and are uncertain about the terrain or altitude changes, this map will show you all of the marked trails in the Wanderweg network, in considerable detail. Since it is topographic map, it shows altitudes and steepness:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=139 2,1538,1396,1430,1436& layers=ch.swisstopo.sw isstlm3d-wanderwege&E=2631775.7 5&N=1142780.88&zoom=9

or

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=139 2,1538,1396,1430,1436& layers=ch.swisstopo.sw isstlm3d-wanderwege&E=2627915.4 2&N=1109761.66&zoom=7

By looking at altitudes and contour lines you can see the heights of nearby mountains and judge whether you are in a valley, for example. You can see if the trail parallels a contour line ( fairly level) or crosses contour lines ( elevation changes). Contour lines close to each other indicate a steep slope.

This link explains the color coding:

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en /hiking-in-switzerland/more-wl/hiking-trail-network-and-signalization.html

Switzerland Mobility has a a good data set for hikes all over Switzerland. I find that it takes me a bit of time to figure out how to use the site effectively, but the map is a good place to start. Or, you can search by name:

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en /wanderland/hiking-in-switzerland.html

The benefit of using a topo map is that it converts the imprecise words “easy” and “moderate” or “difficult” to a more quantitative evaluation.

And, my own experience is that the “easy”trail for a Swiss hiker is “moderate” for inexperienced or out-of-shape hikers, especially at high altitudes where the air is “thinner”….lower oxygen content.

Slowpoke

wanderdiva
    Participant
    38 posts
    25 June 2019 at 8:38:12 #916030

Thank you Arno and Slowpoke for the details.

I am new to hiking and travel alone and hence, I plan on doing only easy hikes. The maps will surely help me to decide.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 June 2019 at 10:05:17 #916031

Hi Wanderdiva,

Slowpoke gave you some useful links there. As a starting point for each hike suggested on this website, you can go to the Route tab of each hike to find a map there: e.g. http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/herbriggen-taesch/route. If you click the icon in the upper right corner, you can change the map style to Outdoors, for example. It then shows you quite some details, including contour lines, so you can see how steep the slopes are. This particular hike is easy by any standard I think, but for others it’s useful to take a close look at the maps.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2019 at 23:09:43 #916032

If it matters to you, Herbriggen to Täsch hike has roughly the same views as the Zermatt railway train, so its up to you if you think that gives enough variety

wanderdiva
    Participant
    38 posts
    26 June 2019 at 4:48:21 #916033

Thanks again Arno. I checked the map for Lauchernalp to Fafleralp hike on this site and it has really steep ascent and descent.

Thanks 1960man. I will be going to Zermatt on another day. If the views are similar, I guess i will skip the Herbriggen to Täsch hike and goto Blausee instead.

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 June 2019 at 5:11:47 #916034

Hi Wanderdiva,

That hike is not really steep, if you take the cable car to the starting point as recommended: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/lauchernalp-fafleralp/route. It goes up and down a bit but nothing extreme.

wanderdiva
    Participant
    38 posts
    26 June 2019 at 5:22:58 #916035

Hi Arno,

I have seen some posts and photos of this hike and I would really love to do it. But since its rated as Moderate and am a beginner, I am a bit apprehensive.

Is it doable without proper hiking gear like shoes and poles? Last year, I did easy hikes in Bernese Oberland area in my regular walking/running shoes.

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 June 2019 at 6:16:33 #916036

I would say that it’s doable. But hiking will be more comfortable and less risky with proper shoes. With risky, I don’t mean life threatening issues, but ankle support, less risk of foot/ankle problems. I like poles for comfort on hikes like these, but they are by no means essential.

wanderdiva
    Participant
    38 posts
    26 June 2019 at 7:07:27 #916037

Thanks a lot, Arno.

• The thread ‘Herbriggen to Täsch hike worth it?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.