Hike Kleine Scheidegg to Männlichen in April?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2019 at 8:22:08 #820405

Hi all. I am visiting Switzerland in late April.

I wonder whether it is okay to do hiking from Kleine Scheidegg to Männlich as I heard that some trails may be closed in some areas.

Besides, as cable cars/funiculars from Männlich to Wengen are closed in April, I wonder whether I can hike down to Wengen from Männlich?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2019 at 1:42:52 #906548

I don’t recommend high altitude walking in April.

April is the ‘awkward’ month in the Swiss alps as the snow is on its way out but the summer green has not arrived.

I once tried to follow a ‘Winterwanderweg’ in April and it was not great fun as there was a huge variation – mixture of slush, deep wet snow, puddles of melted snow, mud etc at different points along the way Some parts were dangerously slippery – other were dry as a bone.

As such you are in between the season when there are official winter paths with cleared snow and dray summer paths through the meadows.

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    16 March 2019 at 13:15:36 #906549

Hi Jason

According to the Jungfrau website, winter hiking trails including Mannlichen to KS are maintained from the first of December until the end of March. So i would expect 1960man’s description of the trail to be typical for April but if you try the very first of April it might still be passable.

mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2019 at 17:40:06 #906550

Hi Jason,

My experience with hiking in between seasons is to always check with a combination of the local tourist office / webcams and weather forecast, in order to avoid issues like those 1960man is describing.

The higher up you go the riskier it is that there will be snow/slush/mud or a combination around that time of the year. Perhaps it is best to map a few hikes in your area of interest and then check when you arrive there?

We have a hiking guide here where you can search hikes by area and level of difficulty: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king

Hope this helps!!

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2019 at 15:21:19 #906551

Thanks for everyone’s practical advice.

I think I will go for some hiking trails at lower altitude.

• The thread ‘Hike Kleine Scheidegg to Männlichen in April?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.