Hike from Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen possible?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2018 at 10:17:09 #817799

Hi,

We are staying in Wengen and will go to Jungfraujoch tomorrow. Initially the plan was to take a cable car to Mannlichen and hike to Kleine S. and than to Jungfraujoch. However, since it is busy season we want to go to Jungfraujoch first. Is it possible to hike from KS to Mannlichen? And how much time will it take?

Thanks,

Harish

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 August 2018 at 14:14:54 #893876

Hi Harish,

Sure, no problem. It’s just that the views are better in the other direction. But if you stop and look back you can see those views too 🙂

All further details are here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2018 at 18:41:58 #893877

Thanks Arno,

Actually i am a bit confused. A personnel at the Wengen railway information center told me that i won’t get views if i hike from KS to Maennlichen (M). This is my first time to Switzerland, so now i am a bit confused.

Is the trail from KS to M and M to S same? In that case as you mentioned, there won’t be a problem to see the views.

I will be taking the early morning train to Junfraujoch tomorrow.

Also, is the Eiger walk easy to do and worth the view?

Thanks,

Harish

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2018 at 18:54:41 #893878

Same trail so same views.

But you aren’t facing the mountains (nice views) as you walk to Mannlichen. That would be what the personnel at Wengen meant. It is much more common to walk the other direction.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2018 at 20:17:35 #893879

Thanks Lucas, what about the Eiger Walk?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 August 2018 at 21:09:28 #893880

There is aprofound psychological effect when walking toward the Eiger. You cannot reproduce it by turning your head frequently and youi’ll have to stop and turn around.

The face ofthe mountain that you walk toward is the North Face. In German, Nordwand. Or, “Todwand.” That is “death wall.” The mountain was a killer. nd, as you walk toward it, it towers over you.

I’d skip it and take the EIGER WALK INST

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 August 2018 at 21:14:00 #893881

There is a profound psychological effect when walking toward the Eiger. You cannot reproduce it by turning your head frequently and youill have to stop and turn around.

The face of the mountain that you walk toward is the North Face. In German, Nordwand. Or, “Todwand.” That is “death wall.” The mountain was a killer. And, as you walk toward it, it towers over you mor eand more.

I’d skip it and take the Eiger walk instead if you have to go the “wrong” way.

My opinion, anyway.

The Eiger walk crosses a lot of scree, so you must stick to the narrow trail. At the end, it descends about 400 meters to Alpiglen via switchbacks. If your knees are troublesome, that could be a problem.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Hike from Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen possible?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.