Hike from Schynige Platte to First? Or reverse?

Hike from Schynige Platte to First? Or reverse?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Mark
Mark
152 posts
Jul 19, 2017 - 11:15 AM

Which direction should I go? Most seem to go from First to Schynige Platte . Any reason? Looks like less elevation climb going opposite direction,starting from Schynige Platte. Mark

Lucas
Lucas
4926 posts
expert &
Jul 19, 2017 - 3:16 PM in reply to Mark

Hi Marki,

I've read the following before about this route: The trail can be hiked from either direction. My preference is to start at First, which is higher than Schynige Platte and closer to the Faulhorn, the high point on the hike. This way you get down from the high point earlier in the day, always a good idea when hiking in the
mountains.

Other than that note, you can travel in either direction on this route.
I found another website with a hike description here about starting in Schynige Platte.

I hope that helps!

Lucas

Mark
Mark
152 posts
Jul 20, 2017 - 2:10 AM

Thanks, guess I'll go from First to SP as overall less elevation loss and the trains at SP stay open latter than the chairlift at First. Mark

kim11
kim11
405 posts
top member
Jul 20, 2017 - 7:21 PM

I've done the hike maybe 20 times and really prefer SP to First direction. The views are more in front of you that way. Also there is more downhill than uphill in the First to SP direction. Which you may like but I find quite tedious.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018