Hikes near Interlaken and day trips by train

• Ginny32cat
    Participant
    6 posts
    10 August 2017 at 11:06:19 #812907

We are a family of 5 (kids are 12,10 and 3 – all good walkers or happy to be carried) going to Interlaken in late August/early September. Travelling by train from Basel to Interlaken on 28th Aug and back to Basel on 4th September – we will do this journey via BRÜNIG-HASLIBERG in one direction yet to be decided – any recommendations as to the best direction to do this journey and which side of the train to sit on?

We are buying two adult Swiss Rail 8 day passes and getting a family card to cover the children. Although we want to travel around the Jungfrau region for obvious reasons! But we wondered, as we have the all Switzerland passes and and are therefore not limited to the Jungfrau are there other train trips outside of the region that we should explore?

Also what are the best places to travel up to that we can then walk back down to either join another train or boat to get back to Interlaken. Sadly I am not very keen on cable cars/chair lifts so would like to use trains and boats as much as possible but do not want to spoil the trip for the less fearful members of the family.

All advice welcomed…

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 August 2017 at 1:25:47 #868137

Hi Ginnykat-

<<“Sadly I am not very keen on cable cars/chair lifts so would like to use

trains and boats as much as possible but do not want to spoil the trip

for the less fearful members of the family.”>>

How do you feel about cableways with very large cars…hold tens or dozens – that are pretty solid feeling? If you can manage those, take the Luftseilbahn ( large cable car) from Wengen ( reached by train) up to Männlichen,and walk to Kleine Scheidegg to catch a return train down.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

Best easy walk in Switzerland. You’ll have to help the 3 year old. ;-(

Spectacular views, and easy enough to be nicknamed “The Grannies’ Walk.”

See attached images.

One shows the very large cableway car up from Wengen.

Other show my daughter and 8 year old granddaughter in 2009.

Here are some other ideas:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s

This may help to visualize the terrain:

http://www.swissholidayco.com /Public/Assets/User/fi les/Map-of-Jungfrauregion1.jpg

There are , however, much better maps, including excellent topos, if you need them. Ask.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2017 at 5:54:47 #868138

Hi Ginny32cat,

If you are looking for a scenic train ride from Interlaken, have a look at the Golden Pass route to Montreux. If you have a free day it is quite nice!

It is a little difficult to explore the Jungfrau region without using cable cars/gondolas unfortunately. Slowpoke’s suggestion is probably the best one for you.

Lucas

Ginny32cat
    Participant
    6 posts
    11 August 2017 at 11:28:21 #868139

Hi Slowpoke,

Thank you for those suggestions and photos – I think if the cableway is only a 5 minute journey as suggested by the timetable info I should manage it and the walk looks really beautiful and just about the right length for all of us.

I understand the notion that the Jungfrau region is not an obvious destination for someone like me but I am confident we will find enough to do during our week in the area without me having to scare myself witless too often!

Maybe MySwissAlps should have a “How to enjoy the Alps despite being terrified of heights” page…I cannot believe I am the only person that goes there and feels this way!

Thanks again…

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 August 2017 at 12:38:17 #868140

<<“Thank you for those suggestions and photos – I think if the cableway is only a 5 minute journey as suggested by the timetable info I should manage it and the walk looks really beautiful and just about the right length for all of us.”>>

Hope for clear weather.

There are webcams-

en.swisswebcams.ch/suc he/ort/m%C3%A4nnlichen -6935774/

Looks pretty cloudy over there right now, and my swiss friends say that there is some snow at high altitudes. Can’t tell from the webcams, but Wengen is clear of snow.

The weather can change rapidly. Don’t believe any forecast more than 24-48 hours ahead of time, and you can still expect local variations. make the weather.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 August 2017 at 16:17:08 #868141

replying to myself-

Looks light they had light snow at Männlichen yesterday or today. Trail is open.

If you check the web site that I listed before

en.swisswebcams.ch/web cam/1453739047-M%C3%A4nnlichen-Bern%2C-Switzerland-%283815-M%C3%A4nnlichen%29_Wea ther

and run the 30 day sequence ( date shows in upper right corner) you ‘ll see what the weather can be like up there.

The snow on the ground is surely going to melt in the next day or two.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2017 at 23:36:42 #868142

Hi Ginny,

>> I am not very keen on cable cars/chair lifts so would like to use trains and boats as much as possible but do not want to spoil the trip for the less fearful members of the family.

These are some places you can go in the Interlaken area without using cable cars:

Railways and funiculars

Brienzer Rothorn

Giessbach Hotel funicular

Harder Kulm

Allmendhubel funicular

Schynige Platte

Jungfraujoch

Reichenbach Falls funicular

Bus

Grindelwald to Meiringen over the Grosse Scheidegg

Attractions

Trümmelbach Falls

Aare Gorge

You probably already know about boat trips on Lake Brienz and Lake Thun.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Hikes near Interlaken and day trips by train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.