Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Hiking along Brienzersee: north or south shore

Hiking along Brienzersee: north or south shore

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
AlanPrice
AlanPrice
230 posts
Jun 24, 2020 - 12:07 AM

Hi Folks

I'm planning (Day dreaming?) about a hiking trip next year, which is essentially a loop from Interlaken, around Lake Brienz, to Meiringen, Roselauie, Grindelwald, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen and back to Interlaken. I know the area pretty well except for Lake Brienz, so my question is, is there a better side of the lake to hike on? Which side has the better paths, better scenery? I know the south side has Iseltwald and the Giessbach Falls, but If anybody has any direct experience, it would be great to hear from you.

Cheers

Alan

1960man
1960man
2692 posts
top member
Jun 24, 2020 - 11:33 PM in reply to AlanPrice

Don't think there is a great deal of difference. North side the path is slightly up from the lake shore most of the time to avoid the road and railway. The south side follows the lake more closely and would be theoretically shadier for obvious geographical reasons (hence the fewer settlements), but it has the motorway.

Ildiko
Ildiko
978 posts
top member &
Jun 25, 2020 - 1:54 PM

Hi there,

just quick additional information, I am sure you are familiar with it but maybe other readers of this post haven't seen it so far:

Thanks,

Wish you all a nice day,

Ildiko

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7514 posts
expert
Jun 26, 2020 - 10:46 AM in reply to AlanPrice

Hi Alan -

There is a excruciating detail about some of the south side, here:

www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/mulibach-falls-giessbach-falls-trail

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7514 posts
expert
Jun 27, 2020 - 1:18 PM in reply to AlanPrice

Hi Alan -

I like the views from the south side a bit more than those from the north side.

And there are at least two available routes as noted in the thread that I linked earlier. One by the lake, and one up at about Giessbach Hotel level.

Slowpoke

Anna
Anna
846 posts
top member &
Jun 27, 2020 - 7:18 PM

Hi Alan,

I hiked the Iseltwald - Giessbach trail some 3 weeks ago and quite enjoyed the lake shore views. I shared my experience and a few pics here: www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/iseltwald-giessbach-circular-trail

I have not hiked on the north side of Lake Brienz so can't personally offer any insights for comparison.

Regards,

Anna

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7514 posts
expert
Jun 27, 2020 - 10:15 PM in reply to Anna

Hi Anna -

It is nice to include a meal or a drink on the terrrace of the Hotel Giessbach, so I have always used the upper route (at the Giessbach Hotel level). There are also higher trails. Typically, I'd walk over from Brienz, which is a pleasant trail, but one that has no special character. Or, taken the I've taken the funicular up from the Schiffstation, had a bite, and gone back down to take a boat onward.

Lots of choices.

You may not have hiked the north shore, but perhaps you have ridden that train?

Slowpoke

Last modified on Jun 27, 2020 - 10:39 PM by Slowpoke
AlanPrice
AlanPrice
230 posts
Jun 30, 2020 - 5:58 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your input, that's exactly the kind of first hand experience I was after. I particularly like Slowpokes suggestion of stopping by the Hotel Giessbach.

Cheers

Alan

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020