Hiking at Mt Rigi in November

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 October 2018 at 8:17:57 #818803

Hi!

My family and I will be in Lucerne for 2 days on 17 and 18 November 2018 and are looking to make a day trip to one of the mountains around Lucerne that have been recommended – i.e. Mt Pilatus, Mt Rigi, Mt Titlis. May I find out if it would still be possible to hike up Mt Rigi at that time and what is the recommended way to get there to hike? We are moderate hikers and are comfortable with a 2-4 hour hike.

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 October 2018 at 16:40:28 #898374

Hi frankiestein and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It may still be possible as Rigi isn’t too high and snow shouldn’t be an issue with closing paths as it will on higher mountains.

You can find an overview of rigi hikes here: sismedia2.sisag.ch/rig i/sismap/html/sommer/e n/ & here: http://www.rigi.ch/en/Experie nce-Enjoy/Summer/Hiking/Hi king-trails-on-Mount-Rigi

Just be sure to check locally once there to see what may or may not be open.

As for getting to Rigi, our Rigi page details that: http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2018 at 4:21:23 #898375

Hi Lucas, thanks for the info!

I have seen those web pages however there is this trail called “Rigi Hiking Ticket”. I am just wondering if we are willing to do one of the trails on Mt Rigi, would it be recommended to purchase this ticket? Or should we just purchase a train ticket to bring us to the foot of Mt Rigi and hike up and down the rest of the way? Would that maximise what we are able to see on Mt Rigi?

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2018 at 7:35:54 #898376

I’m guessing you have no rail pass at this point for your trip and are just buying point to point tickets?

Picking what you do will depend on how much hiking you want to do that day.

The Rigi Hiking Ticket has you travel up the mountain and then hike part way down only before catching a cable car or train the rest of the way down.
    Or you can hike up the entire mountain – really up to you. November isn’t a great time for hiking, even if everything is accessible.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2018 at 10:42:48 #898377

I see… We actually got eurail passes as we will be travelling around other places in Europe. If we were to take the Rigi Hiking Ticket, which picks us up from Vitznau, how would you recommend we get to Vitznau and do we book that separately on our own? Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2018 at 18:57:40 #898378

The Eurail Select Pass gets you 50% off your trip to Rigi, so you can buy tickets at Lucerne with the discount. As for the routes to get there, we note that on our Rigi page that I posted on a previous reply.

The timetable can give you specific connection information: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 October 2018 at 1:08:05 #898379

Hi Frankiestein-

<<Or should we just purchase a train ticket to bring us to the foot of Mt

Rigi and hike up and down the rest of the way? Would that maximise what

we are able to see on Mt Rigi?”>>

That is certainly a possibility. A boat ride could also get you to the base of the mountain, as could a bus ticket. There are several hiking routes you could consider, since you can reach the foot of the Rigi at several places.

In general terms, he altitude of Lake Lucerne is about 440 meters above sea level, and Rigi Kulm is at about 1797 meters.

This detailed map shows some possibilities:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=6&E=26 76916.37&N=1211612.73

It would be wise to be accustomed to long climbs at high altitude.

Slowpoke

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    1 November 2018 at 8:01:59 #898380

An easy way to find out about the current snow blanket is to watch a webcam. Just enter < webcam Rigi > in a search engine. Right now, Nov. 1st, Mt Rigi is snow free. It is impossible to give accurate weather forecasts two weeks in advance.

Note that Rigi is currently close to an area identified by Meteo Suisse as presenting a moderate avalanche hazard:

http://www.natural-hazards.ch/home/curren t-natural-hazards.html

• The thread ‘Hiking at Mt Rigi in November’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.