Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Hiking base not too far away from Zürich

Hiking base not too far away from Zürich

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Ohman 91
Ohman 91
42 posts
Jun 29, 2020 - 7:23 PM

Good evening,

Can anyone recommend a nice village for hiking that is not too far away from Zürich? :) If it has altitudes of up to 2000-2500 meter that's possible to hike that is great. My main interest is to hike in the mountains with nice views but also to hike around nice lakes. And my plan is to one day take a train to Aletsch Arena (Eggishorn). When it will be possible in these strange times, I do not know, time will tell. But I might as well start looking for a nice spot :)

Places I've visited so far: Zermatt, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Mürren, Brunnen and Luzern.

Open for all suggestions! :)

Steph
Steph
2293 posts
top member
Jun 30, 2020 - 3:01 PM in reply to Ohman 91

Hello Ohman 91,

Nice to hear you're planning some hiking in Switzerland.

A fantastic area for hiking, and not too far from Zurich, is for sure the area of the city and lake of Lucerne. Zurich itself does not have any mountains with the elevation you're looking for.
- www.myswissalps.com/zurich
- www.myswissalps.com/lucerne
- www.myswissalps.com/lakelucerne

You can find fabulous input about hikes all over the country as well as other, helpful information about hiking in below link:
- www.myswissalps.com/hiking

An area to consider, which is located close to Zurich is the Alpstein mountain massiv by the city of Appenzell, a fabulous, not so touristy corner of Switzerland.
- www.appenzell.ch/en/alpstein/hiking/hiking-tour-suggestions.html

The big advantage of Switzerland is it's small size, so you can easily reach most locations within a day trip, including some hiking at the destination. For details about travelling times and connections, please make sure you become familiar with below timetable:

- www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Hope this provides some helpful input, otherwise get back to us anytime.

Best,
Steph

Last modified on Jun 30, 2020 - 3:04 PM by Steph
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7534 posts
expert
Jun 30, 2020 - 3:56 PM in reply to Ohman 91

Hi Ohman 91-

<<"hiking that is not too far away from Zürich? :) ">>

As Steph pointed out, depending on your definition of "too far" you might easily include all of Switzerland. ;-)

I've hiked all around Lake Lucerne and agree that it is a good option,. There enough hikes to fill weeks, not days. You won't find 2000 2500 meters until you are in the Alps, however.

Zugerberg is pleasant, too.

This is a good resource for hikes in all regions:

www.schweizmobil.ch/en/wanderland/wanderland.html

Slowpoke

1960man
1960man
2718 posts
top member
Jun 30, 2020 - 9:25 PM in reply to Ohman 91

Can we ask why you need to be 'not too far from Zürich'? Remember that as Switzerland is a small country, apart from a few places in the 'far corners' most places are 'not too far' from Zürich.

gramels
gramels
46 posts
Jul 1, 2020 - 7:31 AM

Rigi

45 Minutes by car from Zürich, eg via Vitznau.

Excellent hiking.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020