Hiking boots with leather lining inside?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2012 at 20:20:35 #804875

Hi,

Where I can buy hiking boots with leather lining inside in Bern or Zurich?
    In Canada there are no hiking boots or shoes with leather lining inside.

Please let me know the location of the outdoor equipment store or any other store where I can find this type of boots.

Can you recommend some european brends?

Thank you,

Marmot

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    4 February 2012 at 6:01:52 #834745

Hello Marmot,

I can’t answer your question.

However, my wife and I have bought mountain boots more than once in one of the many Intersport shops. Generally sellers in Swiss shops are friendly and have a lot of expertise.

There are many good sport shops.
    You could contact e.g. the Intersport shop in Bern. There’s a good chance they can advise you.

Hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2012 at 6:05:43 #834746

I don’t think you’ll easily find a boot with leather lining in Switzerland either. In Bern you can try http://www.baechli-bergsport.ch/ who may stock the Lowa Renegade which is leather lined.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2012 at 22:14:59 #834747

Thank you guys.

I’m not sure why it’s such a problem to find hiking shoes with leather lining inside.
    About 10 years ago in eastern Europe you wouldn’t find any other hiking boots. All of them were from leather inside out.
    I haven’t been in Europe for a while. I thought nothing changed in this respect in the past 10 year. However, in US and Canada they have never had hiking boots with leather even 20 years ago. At least that’s what people say in Outdoor stores.

Several year ago I bought fantastic hiking boots: Rachel’s (swiss brand) but manufactured in Romania. Last year the company was sold to Chinese company and they no longer produce quality boots.

Thank you for links,

Marmot

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2012 at 11:39:53 #834748

It’s difficult to find boots with a leather lining because there’s better ways of making a boot and has been for 30 years. Your Swiss boots were called “Raichle” and they are part of Mammut another Swiss company, they have not been sold to a Chinese company but some models could well be manufactured there.

Manufacturers stopped using leather as a liner as knit nylons and other membranes require less breaking in, less aftercare and are more durable.

I think you ought to listen to the guys in the outdoor stores, it sounds like they’re giving you good advice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2012 at 23:50:03 #834749

Thank you for clarification. All Mammut hiking boots sold in Canada made in China. The boots do have leather lining inside but the quality is very low. I tried them on myself. Also guys from the outdoor store confirmed that Mammut and Raichle boots are world apart in quality.
    Thanks agian for info on boots

• The thread ‘Hiking boots with leather lining inside?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.