Hiking Eiger Trail, or First to Bachalpsee?

• Sw1sstrave1
    Participant
    4 posts
    6 July 2022 at 0:39:36 #827691

Hello all,

I am planning our first trip to the Jungfrau Region in September this year. We will be based in Wengen – 3.5 days/4nights.

I did an extensive research and I am interested to do the following:

Lauterbrunnen Valley

Mannlichen to Klein Scheidegg – Panorama Trail

Northface trail and Murren

Eiger Trail or First to Bachalpsee

Which one to choose: the Eiger Trail or the First to Bachalpsee?

Which one has more spectacular scenery and will add more variety in experiencing Alps?

Can I add one of these walks to any other day on my plan?

Appreciate all suggestions.

Thanks in advance, Michael

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    6 July 2022 at 13:27:17 #943963

Hello, Michael, and welcome to the forums!

Please let us know how much mountain hiking experience you have. This will help us understand the viability of suggesting potential combinations and also commenting on Eiger Trail v First to Bachalpsee.

Sw1sstrave1
    Participant
    4 posts
    7 July 2022 at 4:21:14 #943964

Thank you, Kim.

We are an active couple in our mid-60s. We like walking and did a few medium difficulty guided hiking trips. Also we were a bit younger at that time:). We don’t want to rush and have too many activities on a day. At the same time we don’t want just watch the views, and prefer to enjoy the scenery while we are walking.

Michael

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    7 July 2022 at 14:45:03 #943965

Some thoughts:

1. You can string together the Lauterbrunnen Valley walk (about 3.5 miles, flat) with the North Face Trail hike (about 4.6 miles). Makes for a bit of a long day but definitely do-able. Start Lauterbrunnen Valley walk from the train station (head up the uphill sidewalk into Lauterbrunnen village) and follow the trail as far as the Stechelberg Schilthornbahn station. Take the gondola up to Mürren. The North Face Trailhead is just outside the gondola station. Follow it to Allmendhubel (another stunner of a view site) and take the lift back down to Mürren. You can either explore Mürren before or after the North Face hike. Then return to Wengen via train to Grütschalp, gondola to Lauterbrunnen, train back up the hill to Wengen.

2. Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg is another must do, as you’ve determined. It’s a gentle downhill descent on a wide path, about 3 miles long. If you’re up for more walking after that, I suggest walking up to Eigergletscher station which is the best lunch spot (alternatively you can catch the train for the short ride ). The restaurant is very very good. Try to be seated on the veranda which is perched out over a glacier. Then train down from there back to Wengen via Kleine Scheidegg. The views from the train are simply amazing.

3. I’d recommend the First-Bachalpsee hike. The Eiger Trail is enjoyable as it’s right under the North Face but is pretty darn steep in spots and many find it just too challenging. With First – Bachalpsee you get to ride the ski gondolas up from Grindelwald (simply incredible), poke around First (very scenic), do the round-trip to the See (about 3 hours total). Out is beautiful with the lake and the views to the Faulhorn but the return is divine (facing the Wetterhorn). Either retrace your steps and take the ski gondolas back down to Grindelwald, or do the flat walk over to the Grosse Scheidegg (about an hour) for great views from there then take the bus down to Grindelwald. That bus ride is an E-ticket one for sure!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2022 at 19:23:55 #943966

Hi Michael,

this might be useful for you too: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/how-to-visit-eiger-trail-and-grindelwald-first.

For some practical hiking tips, please visit this one: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking

Ildiko

Learn more about the Jungfrau region: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/activities

seru
    Participant
    50 posts
    8 July 2022 at 2:14:02 #943967

Hi Kim,

thanks for the tips! I’m not the OP but was planning on doing similar hikes. Would it be possible to do Northface trail first, then go from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen (do the waterfall valley trail in reverse), or would the views be behind us? Thanks!

Sw1sstrave1
    Participant
    4 posts
    8 July 2022 at 6:33:38 #943968

Thank you very much to everyone for handy tips and information.

I actually had the same thoughts as the user Seru: to do the North Face trail first and then Lauterbrunnen Valley from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen if time permits. I would appreciate your feedback on doing this walk in opposite direction. Will we miss the views?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    8 July 2022 at 10:48:01 #943969

Direction Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen puts the view to your back.

If you don’t mind a bit of back-tracking, after you finish North Face Trail and end up in Mürren take the train to Grütschalp then gondola down to Lauterbrunnen and start the Valley walk from there. You can then take the bus back to Lauterbrunnen. Bus stops at Stechelberg Schilthorn gondola station and next to Stechelberg Inn should you end up there (divine spot for lunch, cake, or snacks sitting in their garden).

A little out of the way but that’s what I would do

Sw1sstrave1
    Participant
    4 posts
    8 July 2022 at 12:27:50 #943970

Thank you for your suggestions, Kim!

seru
    Participant
    50 posts
    8 July 2022 at 13:59:41 #943971

Thank you Kim! Would it be reasonable to do Northface trail, then Murren Mountain View trail from Murren to Grutschalp, then cable car to Lauterbrunnen and do valley walk from there? It looks like it is 20km total but should not be too difficult in terms of elevation gain. Or would that be too long and tiring for one day? I guess we will decide after we do Northface trail and see how much more walking we are up for!

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    8 July 2022 at 14:44:05 #943972

Yes, that would be a good hike!

And checking how much more walking you are up for after completing North Face Trail (and Mürren Mountain View if you go ahead and do that) is the best plan

Anna
    6373 posts
    8 July 2022 at 15:04:43 #943973

Hi Michael,

You can find details about the trail from First to Bachalpsee here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/bachsee

Description of the Eiger trail here: http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en/hiking-in-switzerland/routes/route-0353.html

I would say the Eiger trail would require a lot more effort.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Hiking Eiger Trail, or First to Bachalpsee?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.