Hiking from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2018 at 9:06:06 #816215

Hi Team,

We are planning to visit Swizterland on June 08 to 11.

We are staying in Wengen for a night on 8th and planning to hike from Mannlichen To kleine-scheidegg in the morning . This has a nice scenic view and is a easy one to hike, is what i read about.

My question is this the easy & best trail to hike around Wengen or is there any trail with is more scenic. Also do we need buy any hiking ticket too from Mannlichen To kleine-scheidegg ?

And on June 9th, will be trail be open ? I read that the cable car from Wengen to Mannlichen starts at 8.30 in the morning. Please correct if the information is not appropriate.

We are planning to start from Wengen , walk the trail Mannlichen To kleine-scheidegg, Take train back to Wengen. Then visit Staubbach Falls. Then possibly make it to Harder Kulm. Then travel to Lucerne by night. Is this feasible plan to achieve in a day ? Any inputs on what i should exclude / include.

Any other must see in the region?

Kindly suggest.

Thanks in Advance,

Nikhil

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2018 at 15:29:34 #886267

Hi Nikhil and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, the hike from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg is quite popular. I’d expect it to be opening around the time you arrive but it might not be.

For other hiking options around Wengen look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/wengen/activitie s

You can check all departure times and schedules on the timetable.

That does make for a long day but it can work if you aren’t interested in getting to Lucerne very early. You can plan out all your trips using the timetable link above. Staubbach Falls is in Lauterbrunnen and not far from the train station where you can head to Interlaken Ost and then Harder Kulm. Are you going to have luggage with you then if you are moving to Lucerne? Planning to leave at rail stations?

Rosinbloom
    Participant
    16 posts
    25 May 2018 at 16:55:13 #886268

Hi Nikhil,

If the trail from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg is not open by the time you get to Wengen, you could consider taking train from Wengen to Wengernalp and then hiking from Wengernalp to Kleine Scheidegg as I believe this trail is already open (see http://www.jungfrauferien.ch/ iframe-en.php?frameset=18&situation= 8) and it is a relatively short and easy hike from what I gather (http://www.maennlichen.ch/en/ details-164/items/117.html).

If you do this, please post a reply here so I can hear about it as I will be in the area towards the end of June and considering doing the walk from Wengernalp to Kleine Scheidegg.

Cheers

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2018 at 18:19:49 #886269

Thank you for your inputs.

As per the site, http://www.maennlichen.ch/en/ summer-timetable.html

The cable car starts from June 1st it says. Is the hiking trail not yet open for public.

We are planning to carry luggage from Wengen and travel through lauterbrunnen & Interlaken. Can we drop our luggage at Interlaken station and travel to Harder Kulm ?

Then travel to Lucerne and reach by 9pm. Hope that we can cover most of it. Any other places around lauterbrunnen which can be visited if the weather is not okay for hiking?

Cheers

NIkhil

Rosinbloom
    Participant
    16 posts
    25 May 2018 at 19:52:21 #886270

I believe that if there is still a lot of snow on top of the mountain (a possibility), then the trail may not be open yet. But as Lucas says, he thinks it should be open by the time you get there (but there is no guarantee).

Minnie
    Participant
    35 posts
    25 May 2018 at 20:53:01 #886271

Hi Nikhil,

Depending on the weather, the trails around Wengen will open/close as the operator assesses the safety (note: the Swiss are risk-managers, not risk-avoiders so conditions don’t have to be perfect). The Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg trail does, though, get slippery ice oozing over the track. It can take a few sunny days after snow before the track is open. You can check the tourism channel on the TV or the big board at Wengen railway station to see if it’s open.

It’s a stunning walk (not really a hike) – the Eiger feels close enough to touch. So I hope you get to experience it.

However, if the track is closed, perhaps you could consider going by train to see similar views. Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg (KS), then KS to Grindelwald. You could stop and wander around KS – even up the track behind the teepee, which takes you to the start of the Männlichen track. Also, behind the hotel are good views, and it’s fun to sit on the terrace at the station and eat rösti and/or spätzli with the huge alps looming over you.

After you’ve exhausted the possibilities at KS, catch the train down to Grindelwald and you’ll travel through the scenery you would’ve seen from the Männlichen hike.

Then you could do the trip in reverse and spend your afternoon going to Lauterbrunnen and on to Luzern.

If the weather’s fine and you haven’t yet been to Schilthorn or Mürren they are also nice possibilities if the Männlichen track is closed. They’re just up the hill from Lauterbrunnen and easily do-able in your time-frame.

Have a nice trip!

Minnie

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 May 2018 at 9:18:25 #886272

Hi Nikhil,

The cable car may operate, but whether the hiking trail is accessible is a separate thing. The cable car operates so people can enjoy the view up there, and some other trails might be accessible. Note that nobody will stop you from hiking (there’s no closed gate), but whether it’s comfortable and safe is ultimately up to your own judgement. I would go with the recommendations of the tourist office.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 10:26:40 #886273

Thank you RossieBloom, Minnie & Arno. That was really helpful..

Will check the other trails around which we will try if this is not accessible.

Also need to know if there is any baggage drop counter in Wengen / Lauterbrunnen area.

Last question, we are planning to buy Swiss pass for 4 days travel which we will buy online before visiting. Do we also need to buy montains train / cable car tickets online or will it be good to get them at the stations when we get there?

Many Thanks,

Nikhil

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 14:23:52 #886274

You can find details for luggage (sending and storage) on our site here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/practical/ luggage

Click the sbb link under “more on other websites” for rail station services. Wengen has an office open 7-530 every day.

If you are 100% you are going up a specific mountain on a specific day then you can always buy online for different mountain tops: https://www.myswissalp s.com/activities/natur alsites/mountains otherwise you can buy when you are there.

You can buy the Swiss Travel Pass online at one of these retailers: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 14:44:39 #886275

Thank you Lucas.

Thank you for all the information, that will surely help us plan well.

Cheers

NIkhil

• The thread ‘Hiking from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.