Hiking in Bernese Oberland in November

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2011 at 0:54:19 #804744

I will be in Grindelwald from 31 October to 3 November 2011. Other than going up Jungfraujoch, I am also very interested in doing some hiking during my stay in Grindelwald. A few of the trail walks I am interested in are:

1. Mannlichen – Kleine Scheidegg
    2. First – Bachalpsee

I have checked out Jungfrau website for more information, and it seems that the gondola/mountain cog trains to First and Mannlichen only operates until 23 October 2011. Does that mean that it’s not possible to hike to these areas in November? Or are there any other alternative (safe) ways to get up there?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    7 October 2011 at 8:08:55 #834310

Hi starrynitz, and welcome! Some cable cars indeed have a seasonal stop in October/November, between summer and winter season. By November, the trails you mention may already be covered in snow. The cog train to Kleine Scheidegg and the Jungfraujoch runs all year long, so you could take short (snow) hikes from Kleine Scheidegg, provided you have proper hiking gear. In case there’s already snow, you may try one of the winter trails listed here.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2011 at 21:42:19 #834311

Dear Annika, thanks for taking the time to reply.

• The thread ‘Hiking in Bernese Oberland in November’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.