Hiking in Grindelwald in May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2018 at 4:44:51 #814266

Hello, my wife and I will be in Grinderwald from May 7-May11, and we were planned to go mainly for the hiking and outdoor activity. I understand that most of the hiking trails do not open until June 15. Will we still be able to find hiking in early May? Is snow shoeing during that time an option? If you have any tips or recommendations, we would really appreciate it.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 February 2018 at 5:40:28 #875750

Hi friederadam and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

This thread might “help” http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/traveling-to-berner-oberland-in-late-may.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 February 2018 at 21:30:33 #875751

Hello friederadam,

I’d expect trails below 2000 m to be accessible, but you’ll have to wait and see until you’re there. Please find some suggestions here: http://www.myswissalps.com/gr indelwald/activities.

Regarding snow shoeing: you’d best ask the tourist agency while you’re there, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2018 at 5:42:15 #875752

Thank you Arno and Rockoyster

That is very helpful. We have already booked our tickets and plan on being in Switzerland from May 7 to May 11 and really want to see the Alps. Would you suggest another area of Switzerland during this time, or do you think Grindelwald would still be a worthwhile place to spend four days? Or maybe three days in Grinderwald and one day at Interlaken?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2018 at 8:37:48 #875753

Hi friederadam,

If you want to see the Alps then stay with Grindelwald (or nearby). Hiking won’t be particularly good anywhere at that time of year (if that is your primary reason for coming here). But you will get opportunities to be outside in the Alps still.

Another option could be around Lucerne. Mt. Rigi is a little lower and hiking there might be a good option as well.

• The thread ‘Hiking in Grindelwald in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.