Hiking in March on Schilthorn and Eiger?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2018 at 16:11:44 #814615

Hello all,

I have tried to search the website and have gotten some information, but still wanted to ask here to get an opinion. I will be in Interlaken in a few days and I want to hike in the mountains, but I know that it’s out of season for doing so. Will it still be possible?

For hike 1, would like to hike past the Eiger, starting in Grindelwald and ending at the Eigergletscher Station following this route

http://www.outdooractive.com/ en/hiking-trail/grindelwald/auf-dem-eigertrail-bei-grindelwald/23416738/# dmdtab=oax-tab4

For hike 2, I would like to go to the top of Schilthorn but not with the cable car, I would start at the cable car station and then head towards rotstockhutte. Partway to the hut, I will follow signs for Bryndli, and then for Schiltalop. Finally, I’ll follow the signs for Birg, and then for Schilthorn to reach the top.

Thanks to schilthorn.ch/de/Infos /Live and weather forecasts, I realize that it is very cold and there is a lot of snow on the mountain. I am a fairly experience hiker, will this be possible in these conditions? If not, will I still be able to hike around Interlaken this time of year?

Thank you for any and all help, and I apologize in advance for my naivety if want I want to do is absurd.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2018 at 8:34:24 #877743

Hi kylereed1, and welcom to MySwissAlps,

Hike 1 is open from June – October and I found the same period for hikes similar to your second one. It’s indeed cold and there’s a lot of snow. There are prepared winter hiking trails, but these might not give you the thrill you’re looking for?

You can use the search box at the top of this page to search for “hiking March” and will a few threads with our members’ recommendations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 13:19:37 #877744

Just visited Interlaken the past few days, for anyone else looking for the same information I was. There are many hikes in the surrounding Mountains, such as Harder Kulm. These will have snow this time of year, at least half way up. It is easy to get your hands on pamphlets in the city that show some hiking trails, they were given to me at Hotel Rossli. Hiking routes have decent markings and good signage, mountain hikes are designated by a white-red-white blaze on both signs and trees. Like Chantal said, there are prepared winter trails at the base of Schilthorn but more than that will not be possible. Not an ideal time to come to Switzerland to hike, but still a lot to get locally out of Interlaken. Be aware that snow may be deep and routes treacherous, waterproof boots, and hiking poles are absolutely necessary.

• The thread ‘Hiking in March on Schilthorn and Eiger?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.