Hiking options in November & wild camping

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 October 2017 at 8:44:39 #813549

Hello fellow mountainphiles,

I will be arriving in Geneva in about a week and would like to do some multi-day hikes during November. I will be carrying everything I need on me so am not dependent on huts being open.

I’m looking for more nature and less towns and villages, but those can work too, as long as most of the trail is proper nature.

I would be grateful if you could throw some names of gorgeous trails and regions that fit these criteria.

I just came across these http://www.nendaz.ch/tourism/ several-hikes-4016.html – has anyone done any of these? Would you recommend?

What about areas covered in autumn foliage this time of year?

Many many thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 October 2017 at 6:29:08 #871187

Hi Mountainer and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I haven’t hiked in the Nendaz area before so I can’t say specifically about the conditions there – especially at this time of year. I would suggest contact the local tourism office (info@nendaz. ch) directly to ask about current conditions and trails that may be open. If you want to avoid snow, try and find trails under 1500 or so meters. They can also inform you about the option of wild camping in the area if possible.

There will be some open, groomed hiking trails in Zermatt– but they won’t be multi-day hikes like you are looking for.

I hope that helps a little! Perhaps another member has more experience in this area.

Arno
    15483 posts
    27 October 2017 at 10:37:00 #871188

Hi Mountainer,

Wild camping is only allowed above the treeline, and even there are lots of exceptions. In November this is risky as many qualified areas will be snow covered so hard to access. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/campsites/wildcamping. I would recommend to plan hikes at lower altitudes and stay in hostels.

• The thread ‘Hiking options in November & wild camping’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.