Moderate summer hike in Switzerland with 10 yr old

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Smitha rao
Smitha rao
4 posts
May 21, 2019 - 12:50 PM

Hello,

I am traveling for the first time to switzerland and want to include a hike - which is moderate in difficulty. There's so much information and everything looks so good, I want to do other things like train journeys, culture trips - but definitely want to include 1 hike. I have a 10 year old son who is quite fit. Am open to suggestions on the hike and will plan my trip around it as I have not zeroed in on the places that I will visit.

Please let me know!

thanks much

Smitha

Snowman
Snowman
649 posts
top member
May 21, 2019 - 4:03 PM in reply to Smitha rao

Hi Smitha and welcome to MySwissAlps!

www.myswissalps.com/hi king

Enjoy!

Arno
Arno
13977 posts
expert &
May 21, 2019 - 6:28 PM

Hi Smitha,

Snowman's link allows you to filter on difficulty, duration and region. There should be plenty of options to choose from. It's hard to just suggest a few. Feel free to give us a list of the ones you consider, with additional questions.

Mark
Mark
391 posts
top member
May 21, 2019 - 10:30 PM

HI Smitha

it would be helpful to know where and when you will be in Switzerland. Also what you consider a moderately difficult hike. Mark

Smitha rao
Smitha rao
4 posts
May 22, 2019 - 12:40 AM in reply to Mark

Thanks so much, I will look at the link. I plan to be there mid towards the 22nd of July till the 29th.

thanks

smitha

Smitha rao
Smitha rao
4 posts
May 22, 2019 - 2:01 AM

Folks - this is my tentative plan:

20th - Santorini to Zurich, Stay in Zurich

21st - Stay in Zurich

22nd, 23rd - Zurich to Lucerne, Stay in Lucerne - do 1 hike, see other areas near by

24th, 25th, 26th - Lucerne to Jungfrau, Stay in Jungfrau - do 2 hike2, see Schilthorn etc

27th - Transfer to Zurich and fly out to India (is this possible?)

I want to know if the above is possible.

Thanks

Smitha

Smitha rao
Smitha rao
4 posts
May 22, 2019 - 4:19 AM in reply to Smitha rao

In the above plan, I want to spend 3 nights in either Grindelwald or Wengen. I do not want to stay in interlaken as I hear it's very very crowded. I want to make one of these places my base and go around to Schilthorn, do hikes, go to jungfraujoch etc. Please let me know what I should consider and also if I should split the nights between these two.

Also, the last day I fly out of the country - so hoping to catch an early train and fly out of Zurich - will this be a problem?

thanks

smitha

Arno
Arno
13977 posts
expert &
May 23, 2019 - 10:29 AM

Hi Smitha,

I recommend to stay in Grindelwald or Wengen, not both. Either is a good base, please see:

The rest of your plan looks doable to me, but please use the timetable to check traveling times. If your flight is early you may want to travel to Zurich the prior evening:

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019