Moderate summer hike in Switzerland with 10 yr old

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2019 at 12:50:43 #821760

Hello,

I am traveling for the first time to switzerland and want to include a hike – which is moderate in difficulty. There’s so much information and everything looks so good, I want to do other things like train journeys, culture trips – but definitely want to include 1 hike. I have a 10 year old son who is quite fit. Am open to suggestions on the hike and will plan my trip around it as I have not zeroed in on the places that I will visit.

Please let me know!

thanks much

Smitha

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    21 May 2019 at 16:03:37 #912968

Hi Smitha and welcome to MySwissAlps!

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king

Enjoy!

Arno
    15483 posts
    21 May 2019 at 18:28:18 #912969

Hi Smitha,

Snowman’s link allows you to filter on difficulty, duration and region. There should be plenty of options to choose from. It’s hard to just suggest a few. Feel free to give us a list of the ones you consider, with additional questions.

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    21 May 2019 at 22:30:22 #912970

HI Smitha

it would be helpful to know where and when you will be in Switzerland. Also what you consider a moderately difficult hike. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2019 at 0:40:32 #912971

Thanks so much, I will look at the link. I plan to be there mid towards the 22nd of July till the 29th.

thanks

smitha

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2019 at 2:01:58 #912972

Folks – this is my tentative plan:

20th – Santorini to Zurich, Stay in Zurich

21st – Stay in Zurich

22nd, 23rd – Zurich to Lucerne, Stay in Lucerne – do 1 hike, see other areas near by

24th, 25th, 26th – Lucerne to Jungfrau, Stay in Jungfrau – do 2 hike2, see Schilthorn etc

27th – Transfer to Zurich and fly out to India (is this possible?)

I want to know if the above is possible.

Thanks

Smitha

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2019 at 4:19:03 #912973

In the above plan, I want to spend 3 nights in either Grindelwald or Wengen. I do not want to stay in interlaken as I hear it’s very very crowded. I want to make one of these places my base and go around to Schilthorn, do hikes, go to jungfraujoch etc. Please let me know what I should consider and also if I should split the nights between these two.

Also, the last day I fly out of the country – so hoping to catch an early train and fly out of Zurich – will this be a problem?

thanks

smitha

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 May 2019 at 10:29:30 #912974

Hi Smitha,

I recommend to stay in Grindelwald or Wengen, not both. Either is a good base, please see:

The rest of your plan looks doable to me, but please use the timetable to check traveling times. If your flight is early you may want to travel to Zurich the prior evening:

• The thread ‘Moderate summer hike in Switzerland with 10 yr old’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.