Hiking in the Alps in the Easter

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2011 at 23:19:24 #804198

Hi!

Just found this forum and it seems to be just what I need 🙂

We are three guys who have never been hiking in the Swiss Alps before but would like to try it in this coming Easter. We are excited about the “Sentiero Alpino Calanca” hike but we’re not sure it’s going to be possible. I hope you can help us with a few questions.

First of all, do you think the weather is going to make it impossible? We wouldn’t mind some snow but what do you think?

What about restrictions on hiking in the area? Are we allowed at all? Will we need to get/buy special licenses? And what about camping out? Is that allowed?

If this hike is not possible, other suggestions are very welcome.

Thank you very much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    28 March 2011 at 1:39:19 #832477

Hi john.doe,

Welcome here! I don’t know the Sentiero alpino Calanca from personal experience, but I do know that it’s accessible from mid June to October only. It’s not safe otherwise. You’ve probably already found their website with more information. Some alternatives can be found through the San Bernardino website. Perhaps someone else has more suggestions for you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2011 at 3:59:04 #832478

Thank you very much, Arno!

Yes, I did find the website, thank you. We will have to re-consider this hike then.

But in general, will we need some special permissions to hike and camp out in Switzerland?

Thanks again.

Annika
    7116 posts
    28 March 2011 at 14:57:16 #832479

Hi john.doe! No special permissions are required to hike in Switzerland. You have to stay on the (well-marked) hiking paths though, in order not to cause any damage to wildlife and plants, and even more important: in order to avoid dangerous situations. Wild camping is not allowed in most parts of the country. Each canton has its own terms and regulations, so you should either find out in advance which rules apply to the route you have in mind, or plan a tour that allows you to stay overnight in some of the many Swiss mountain huts. Our general hiking tips and the Swiss mountain hut organisation SAC may help you. The website of Wanderland Schweiz offers great information on local, regional and national hiking tours, including accommodation and transportation tips.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2011 at 7:21:36 #832480

Hi Annika,

Thank you very much for very useful advice and directions to more info. You helped us a lot 🙂 I really appreciate the help you provide on this website.

• The thread ‘Hiking in the Alps in the Easter’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.