Hiking in the Griesalp and Mürren area

• Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    27 November 2019 at 12:22:11 #824555

I have gone to the beautiful area of Lauterbrunnen and Mürren for 2 years in a row, for about a week of hiking, including sleeping in huts every now and then. Awesome!!!
    I am now planning on going back, but also want to discover the Griesalp area a bit. My ‘home base’ will remain Mürren but I plan on taking the train & bus from there to Griesalp. I plan on doing the hike up to Gspaltenhornhut (I think it is quite short, around 4 hours), sleeping there and the next day hiking back down to Griesalp. I am debating if I should stay an extra night in Griesalp, before taking the train back to Mürren. I wonder if there are other good hikes in the Griesalp area , that are around 3 to 5 hours long, after which I would return to Mürren.
    Many thanks for any comments!

Monica (from Montreal, Quebec, Canada)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 November 2019 at 0:52:28 #925725

Hi Monca –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

Nice to see that you appreciate that special area.

When?

<<“I wonder if there are other good hikes in the Griesalp area , that are

around 3 to 5 hours long, after which I would return to Mürren.”>>

This link may help.

map.wanderland.ch/?lang=de&route=all&bgLa yer=pk&resolution=5&ph otos=yes&logo=yes&seas on=summer&layers=Wande rland&E=2560105&N=1141 455

Enter Griesalp in the search box.

Slowpoke

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    28 November 2019 at 3:00:36 #925726

Hello Slowpoke!

So happy you answered my question. Thank you very much. I actually read some of your comments to other posts (March 2019) earlier today. You have provided helpful information on the Switzerland Mobility maps. Tell me, do you have any experience hiking from Griesalp (Golderli) to the Gspaltenhornhütte? From the Swiss Mobility map I see that the trail is a light green (not dark green) onwards from Bürgli. I am wondering if the trail is marked well enough to get to Gspalthorn hut . I imagine the views are wonderful along this hike? Going via Sefinenfurgge might not be possible due to snow. We will be there around June 20th. Thanks !

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 November 2019 at 7:45:57 #925727

Hi Monica-

Sorry that I misspelled your name before. ;-(

The heavy green lines in Switzerland Mobility are for named routes. Those are the ones with tremendous detail if you click on the route.

The map to use for all trail characteristics, (but not necessarily with the range of related information on accommodation, points of interest, altitude profile, etc.) , whether a marked Wanderweg or not, is is the SwissTopo map:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=139 2,1538,1396,1430,1436& layers=ch.swisstopo.sw isstlm3d-wanderwege&E=2626400.0 0&N=1153940.00&zoom=6

You can switch back and forth between the color map and the aerial view.

Since the map shows a red line for that trail, it is a Wanderweg, specifically, a “mountain hiking trail” and will be well-marked.

The color coding is explained here:

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en /wanderland/more-wl/hiking-trail-network-and-signalization.html

I have not done that hike or those nearby. Other forum members have hiked those trails; perhaps they will jump in.

Off hand, I think that on June 20, you might be a little early for firm planning. To be really sure, July might be more certain. That’s a not-very- well educated guess. Others know more than I do.

Slowpoke

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    28 November 2019 at 15:54:07 #925728

Hi Slowpoke,

Many thanks for all those links! You Swiss are so impressive! ( I assume you are Swiss.) I just read some of the trail définitions… excellent! I have been consulting endless maps but now I have a clearer description.

Yes, I agree that July would be much better. Hopefully if I can come back again in 2021 I will try for July. Unfortunately for the summer 2020, late June was my only option. This is truly a corner of paradise on this planet, and hopefully I can come back for many more years…… Vielen Dank!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2019 at 18:44:36 #925729

Hi Monica,

It is so good to hear that you too love Switzerland. It is such a wonderful country!

You probably already have seen this, but you’ll find a list of hiking trails at http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king, please use the filter to narrow your search. You might find a route that you like in the Griesalp – Mürren area.

I hope you will lucky with the weather (http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather).

Further information:

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    28 November 2019 at 21:14:10 #925730

Hi Ildiko,

Yes Switzerland is where my heart is! Thanks for the links. When we came last year in mid June to hike (7 days), we were so lucky! The weather was fantastic with a blue sky on most days! I am keeping my fingers crossed for our 2020 trip!! Kind regards, Monica from Montreal

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 November 2019 at 1:51:23 #925731

Grüetzi Monica –

<<“You Swiss are so impressive! ( I assume you are Swiss.) …………. Vielen Dank!”>>

Merci vielmal – so sagt man in der Schweiz – für das Kompliment. Ich bin ein Amerikaner. Ich lebe in den Vereinigten Staaten.

Slowpoke

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    29 November 2019 at 3:21:52 #925732

Oh wie lustig! You fooled me. Viel Spass!

Anna
    6382 posts
    29 November 2019 at 6:47:10 #925733

Hi Monica,

Have you tried searching for that specific information on the Swiss Alpine website? Here: http://www.sac-cas.ch/en/search/?tx_solr%5Bq%5D=griesal p

Agree with Slowpoke. In June, the trail may still be covered in snow. But good luck!

Regards,

Anna

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    30 November 2019 at 3:01:02 #925734

Thank you Anna! Yes I consulted this website, but I will look at it again in more detail There is so much good information… one can spend enless (happy!) hours! I really hope that the trail won’t have so much snow that we cannot do it. We realise that June is not ideal. Last year we were at the Rotstock Hut in mid June. The upside is that we were nearly only in the hut! What a treat!

Anna
    6382 posts
    30 November 2019 at 7:29:18 #925735

Hi Monica,

Hope everything works out and do give us your feedback when you complete your hike.

Regards,

Anna

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    1 December 2019 at 1:42:55 #925736

Hello Anna,

Nice to know that you want some feedback when I return! I will be most happy to do so!

Monica

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2019 at 19:46:16 #925737

Hello Mschwalbe,

We look forward to reading your trip report post in regards to your hikes and travels in Switzerland!

Thanks again for reading the links and finding MySwissAlps website useful.

Best regards,

Suzanne

• The thread ‘Hiking in the Griesalp and Mürren area’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.