Hiking in the Upper Engadine, early July or Sept?

• asn89
    Participant
    2 posts
    15 July 2020 at 21:50:02 #825614

Hello everyone,

So my wife and I are planning for 10-day hiking trip for next summer in the upper Engadine/Bernina Area. We’re planning to base in Pontresina since it’s close to the Bernina area. I was wondering if anyone has any experience hiking in that area since I have a couple of questions that I’m not able to figure out. Most important is we can’t decide on what would be the best month to travel. It seems that late July to August is peak season. I’ve read that late June to early July is beautiful for hiking with all the alpine flowers blooming but the snow may not have melted in some places especially in the high paths. September also seems nice as the weather should be more stable with less rain but wouldn’t it be colder for hiking? Honestly it seems that we’re between early July and September, would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2020 at 8:18:20 #933896

Hi Asn89 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

June is a bit early if you would like to hike on higher altitude. I prefer September, as it is not peak season anymore, but the weather is usually still good. Beginning and middle September is the best. You can read more about the seasons and months at http://www.myswissalps.com/besttimetovisit.

I recommend you this page to check about hiking in Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking.

Ildiko

Also check these:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2020 at 23:21:30 #933897

Being generally restricted to UK school holidays, I often visit Switzerland in mid-late August and have done plently of hiking in the Engadine.

Some points based on my experience:

1) if you end up going earlier (eg June) for hiking, there will be lots of hiking you can do at altitudes where the snow will be long gone.

2) related to above, lower altitude hiking with the high mountains constantly as backdrop can be just as beautiful as high altitude hiking, and often more ‘relaxing’. For example there is a lovely level walk from Spinas, done the valley to Bever, then across to the side of the valley avoiding Samedan and round the hillside to the Muragl area, thence Pontresina.

3) A well know ‘sport’ is to walk between stations on the Rhatische Bahn railway. You can vary the length of hike depending on how you feel. With my wife we have done both ‘further than originally planned’ and less far then originally planned’ – eg you can walk along the valley from Bever towards Scuol, and curtail your walk at any of the stations along the route. We did this once and went as far as Zuoz from Bever having only planned to walk as far as Madulain.

4) When hiking, you won’t really notice any ‘peak season’. It’s not as if Swiss hiking paths are like central Manhattan! As I said above I often hike in Mid August and you can walk in many places without seeing huge numbers of other people

Anna
    6274 posts
    17 July 2020 at 6:15:37 #933898

Hi asn89,

In addition to Ildiko’s useful links and 1960man’s helpful suggestions, the Engadin website also has plenty of information on hiking trails in the summer. http://www.engadin.ch/en/hiking/

Regards,

Anna

asn89
    Participant
    2 posts
    17 July 2020 at 9:46:28 #933899

Thanks guys for all the useful tips, really appreciate it! 🙂

Maloja_Snake
    Participant
    82 posts
    18 July 2020 at 8:17:05 #933900

Hi, last summer I went twice, primarily for hiking around that region; The first trip was from June 15th for two weeks, and the second was the third week of August for two weeks.

In addition to all the expert advice you have received to your questions, I can offer the following. It is a beautiful region, and one of highest valley areas in Switzerland. My main base was Sils Maria, which is surrounded on either side by large lakes. There are wonderful hiking trails in all directions. The village and lakes are 6000′ altitude, and that is at the base of the mountains surrounding it. Pontresina, and St. Moritz are similar. So on my first trip in June, only a few of lifts and gondolas were open until very late June or early July. My second trip was preferable, access wise, and nature wise regarding the trails. It also happened to be surprisingly uncrowded. I was told that the throngs of tourists who were there earlier, had just left.

Anna
    6274 posts
    18 July 2020 at 8:50:00 #933901

Thanks for sharing Maloja Snake!

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2020 at 23:25:19 #933902

Ever since ‘Maloja Snake’ started posting on this forum I had the sneeky feeling they were fans of the upper Engadine… 🙂

Maloja_Snake
    Participant
    82 posts
    20 July 2020 at 0:49:05 #933903

LOL; Thanks, I keep seeking appreciation for this under-appreciated region. And a reminder of my favorite locale of Sils Maria, the best webcam in the Alps that captures it all : sils.roundshot.com/

Annika
    7104 posts
    20 July 2020 at 7:04:53 #933904

Well, you have every right to promote this beautiful area Maloja Snake :-)! Thanks for sharing the webcam link: it’s wonderful to enjoy the views near Sils this way.

• The thread ‘Hiking in the Upper Engadine, early July or Sept?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.