Hiking St Moritz, Zermatt, Grindelwald in May 2018

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 22:12:47 #814692

Hi. We are visiting from Australia with 5 days in St Moritz. 5 in Zermatt and 5 in Grindlewald between 10th and 25th May. I realise this will be between seasons but would like to know what day hikes might be possible in these areas given that there may be above average snow falls this season. We hopefully will have some days of suitable weather at each location and walks of up to 6-8 hours duration and 1000′-2000m elevation change would be suitable. We would need to use public transport/taxi and happy to combine shorter walks if recommended. Thanks Stephen

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 0:26:23 #878290

At valley floor level, the snow will probably be gone by late May.

Last year I did some walking at Easter which included the St Moritz area and the snow had gone.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 7:44:32 #878291

Hi smmaust and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Most hikes over 2000 meters will probably be inaccessible at that time. But it is all dependent on how strong the sun is over the next couple months. Best to check with local tourist offices when you arrive to see what is accessible.

You can have a look at our hiking suggestion's in Switzerland here to get an idea of options in different regions (and the hiking trails altitudes).

Also, a quick search of the site (search box top right) for “hiking in May” will yield a far bit or results from other members.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 7:54:33 #878292

Hi Thanks for the feedbsck. I will check your suggestions. I was thinking we would be OK to handle1000m -2000m elevation change over the day rsther than walking above 2000m. It seems there is so much uncertainty with the weather at this time we could get summer or winter weather in May. We will come prepared.

Website is very helpful so thsnks to all contributing.

Regards Stephen

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 8:27:59 #878293

Yes, elevation change of 1000 meters can be possible for some and not for others (like me). 🙂 All about fitness levels.

The problem you may encounter is that some of the towns and villages you may start a hike at are already over 1000 meters, some close to 1500…so the trails going much farther up may well be closed.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    10 March 2018 at 21:44:19 #878294

Hi Smmaust

Its really difficult to predict which trails will be open in May. Almost assuredly in Jungfrau area the hike from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg will be open. The valley hike from Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg may be open as well. The Eiger Trail from Grindelwald or Alpiglen to Eigergletscher is high but gets a fair amount of sun and could be passible.The hikes out of First are a little less likely to be open but I would check on First to Bachalpsee to Waldenspitz to Bort. Or maybe First to Grosse Scheidegg to Grindelwald. The local tourist office can tell you which trails are open.

In Zermatt, I would expect Riffelalp to Riffelsee to be open. Zermatt to Zmutt to Riffelalp is in the valley and should be open. The areas around Grunsee and Moosjisee are mid mountain and get plenty of sun and are readily accessible from Riffelalp.

Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 7:23:42 #878295

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your helpful response. I will check out your suggestions, conditions and what is open when we are there. I recognise we will be very dependant on the weather at the time but even on a bad day there is hopefully somewhere to find a drink and a meal.

Regards Stephen.

• The thread ‘Hiking St Moritz, Zermatt, Grindelwald in May 2018’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.