Hiking – Stechelberg to Oberhornsee

• Merickson5
    Participant
    14 posts
    17 January 2023 at 2:07:33 #828903

We are thinking of hiking the Stechelberg-Gimmelwald-Oberhornsee trail. Is anyone familiar with this trail, and what can you tell me about it. This is our first trip to Switzerland so tough to decide where to begin. Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Danielsan
    Participant
    628 posts
    17 January 2023 at 11:13:14 #949775

Hi Merickson5,

Welcome to MySwissAlps. I wasn’t familiar with this trail until I looked it up on line. Attached below is a site I Iooked at. I hadn’t realized the valley kept going so far. I also browsed Google maps to see lots of pictures. Looks beautiful. Hope this helps you get started. Have fun and bring lots of water from what it says on the site.

Regards,

Dsnielsan

http://www.alltrails.com/trail/switzerland/bern/stechelberg-gimmelwald-oberhornsee?u=i

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    17 January 2023 at 14:31:09 #949776

Hi Merickson5,

This 8 hour or so hike is absolutely fabulous!!!! After leaving Stechelberg, and after climbing up through the forest for about an hour, a most breathtaking view slowly opens up in front of you!!!! As you hike along sort of a ridge, the views are stunning everywhere you look!!!! You will come across the quaint Hotel Obersteinberg, a family run farm and guesthouse where you can stop for a bite to eat (cash only). As you continue towards the Oberhornsee, the mountains surrounding you seem to become increasingly majestic!!!

I first discovered this trail in 2019. I went back to do the trail again in 2022. And guess what? I am going back again in June 2023, and I will do it yet again!

I should mention that in 2019, the trail – about 30 mins walking beyond the Obersteinberg Hotel – was officially closed due to snow. We were there in mid June. We nevertheless continued on it, but it was a bit of a challenge to find the ‘red Swiss trail markers’.

I hope this helps! Wishing you a fantastic trip!

Monica (Montreal, Quebec, Canada)

Anna
    6279 posts
    17 January 2023 at 14:37:08 #949777

Hi Merickson5,

Thank you for joining MySwissAlps.

To get to Oberhornsee from Stechelberg, follow the direction from Stechelberg to Obersteinberg. The trail is well marked. There is a hotel at Obersteinberg and from the hotel you can continue your hike to the lake.

You can find various other hiking options in the Jungfrau region here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/activities (scroll down to the hiking section)

regards,

Anna

Merickson5
    Participant
    14 posts
    18 January 2023 at 23:36:32 #949778

Thank you so much for looking into that for me. Does look beautiful.

Merickson5
    Participant
    14 posts
    18 January 2023 at 23:39:15 #949779

Thank you so much for your reply. I’m so glad you have done the hike before and liked it so much you are repeating it a few times. Is the hike extremely difficult?

Merickson5
    Participant
    14 posts
    18 January 2023 at 23:40:53 #949780

Thanks for the info and the additional sources for other hikes. Really appreciate it!

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    19 January 2023 at 0:59:54 #949781

Hello Merickson5,

In answer to your question whether the hike is extremely difficult, I would say no. The 1 hour or so stretch that goes uphill through the forest is a bit of a challenge, from the point of view that I would consider it like a cardio workout. After that, when you have the spectacular views, the trail is not very difficult in my opinion. For me (62 years old), coming down is more of a challenge, as it can be a bit hard on the knees. There are several options for coming back down – I can’t say which way is best, as I came down the same way both times that I did this hike.

I hope you will decide to go ahead with this hike, and I am sure that will be a fantastic memory for life!

Monica

Merickson5
    Participant
    14 posts
    19 January 2023 at 1:46:33 #949782

Thanks again Monica, we are going to plan and do this hike. Your input has really helped. Have a great night.

Melodi

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    19 January 2023 at 2:48:37 #949783

Hi Melodi!

You are so very welcome! I’m so happy that I was able to help a bit.

Also wishing you a great night.

Monica

Danielsan
    Participant
    628 posts
    19 January 2023 at 6:02:14 #949784

Hi Merickson5

You’re very welcome. I hope you have a great time.

Regards,

Danielsan

• The thread ‘Hiking – Stechelberg to Oberhornsee’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.