Hiking options in May within few hours from Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2019 at 19:41:33 #823842

Hi there,

I’ve got an opportunity to be in Geneva in late May next year with my family and we were wondering about what hiking may be available. We are really keen to get up into the mountains and hike to a refuge as an intro to apline/swiss walking with our kids (aged 8-14 and experienced hikers).

We have been advised that the higher routes wont be open until June but would like to make the most of the opportunity to get some walking and an overnight trip in.

Does anyone have any ideas on where we can hike, that has refuges that will be open around late May, needs to be accessible a few hours from Geneva.

thanks

Barry

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2019 at 23:17:54 #922156

I don’t know your proficiency in French but you can try internet searches using the phrase ‘refuges de montagne’ or ‘refuge alpins’

Many are also termed ‘Cabanes’ so you could search using that word as well

Here is one French language site:

refuges-montagne.info/fr/valai s.php

Not as ‘craggy’ territory as the Alps but the Jura mountains (where I first walked aged about 1.5 years…and learned to ski) would be mainly, possibly completely, snow free by late May

Annika
    7124 posts
    13 September 2019 at 12:15:16 #922157

Hello Barry, and welcome to MySwissAlps! Great that you get to visit Geneva in May. The Lake Geneva area is wonderful by that time of the year. Although a bit early, you might enjoy the beautiful Lavaux area with its vineyards: http://www.myswissalps.com/la kegeneva. Hiking in the Rochers-de-Naye region might be possible too, if most of the snow has gone: http://www.myswissalps.com/ro chersdenaye. I’d certainly explore the options in the Jura mountains as advised by 1960man as well.

• The thread ‘Hiking options in May within few hours from Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.