Hiking the Heuberg Rundweg loop over Kandersteg?

• juliteuscher
    Participant
    19 posts
    16 June 2016 at 3:42:02 #809450

Has anyone hiked this loop accessed above Kandersteg ? (from Oeschinensee gondola to Oberbärgli, to Unterbärgli, to the Oeschinensee, then back to the top gondola station ?) Photos look stunning and the highest point is around 2000 meters, which should be good for late June. Bloga I have read have graded it anywhere from easy/family friendly to moderate. Does anyone know the current conditions as well ? Thank you !

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2016 at 8:48:14 #853109

Yes we do !

It is a nice walk. We have drink something on the small Unterbärgli mountain restaurant with nice view on the Oeschinensee. The conditions are good in late june. After start at de gondola station and after a few 100 meters you must take the left path, not the large path to the Oeschinensee (and restaurant).

juliteuscher
    Participant
    19 posts
    16 June 2016 at 11:49:25 #853110

Thank you so much Brahms for your input. This seems like a great alternative to some of the higher elevation hikes we had considered and not too far from where we will be staying. I can tell from photos that the views are spectacular.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2016 at 21:38:47 #853111

I’m a wanderer, not a hiker. I stroll not walk, taking in the views and photographing the flowers. So anything not easy is not for me. The circular route round the oeschinensee is ok by me. But if your not prepared for it don’t try the walk down to Kandersteg from Oeschinensee. It’s short, but steep and really hurts your calves. I found myself walking from side to side of the road to take some of the steepness out of the road.

it’s also nice up at sunnbuel with small glacial lakes amongst the trees to the right of the path to Gemmi. Also great views into the Gasterntal from the top station. The walk all the way to Gemmi will take about 3hrs, and then you have to get back either by retracing your steps or down to Leukerbad and back by bus & train and I don’t know how practical that is.

juliteuscher
    Participant
    19 posts
    18 June 2016 at 2:30:48 #853112

Thank you Wolfwanderer for your input. I read about the Gemmi route on another forum as well and am considering that option – especially since you can return via Leukerbad and that is even closer to our base. I am trying to have a flexible schedule with many possible options that I can adjust daily according to the weather and energy levels.

And speaking of weather – just read that it “may” be close to 30C in the Rhone Valley by the end of next week. Again, no one knows for certain but just wow if that is true !! …need to throw in a pair or 2 of shorts with my last minute packing I guess 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2016 at 8:47:38 #853113

The Gemmi route is also very nice, we walk it also from Sunnbuhl to the cablecar station to Leukerbad and also back. It is a daytrip.

Oeschinensee to Kandersteg is steep but very good to do.

The Gasterntal is quiet. You can walk from the cablecar tall station Sunnbuhlbahn into the Gasterntal. On the end there is a nice small restaurant.

Also a nice walking route is the BLS Südrampe above the Rhone valley. A very nice part of the route is Hohtenn to Ausserberg and also Ausserberg to Eggerberg to Lalden. The beginning and end are railway stations between Kandersteg and Brig.

juliteuscher
    Participant
    19 posts
    18 June 2016 at 14:03:43 #853114

Thank you Brahms once again for your input – I will look into these trails !

• The thread ‘Hiking the Heuberg Rundweg loop over Kandersteg?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.