Hiking time from Bachalpsee to Waldspitz to Bort

• Are2
    Participant
    41 posts
    26 June 2019 at 17:30:39 #822502

Hello, We’re trying to determine the approximate walking times for each section:

Bachalpsee and Waldspitz?

Waldspitz to Bort?

We’ll be based in Grindelwald in late August and would like to do this round trip:

Gondola to First, walk to Bachalpsee, walk to Waldspitz, lunch, then walk to Bort, and Gondola back to Grindelwald. What would be the approximate total time? Should we allow a full day?

Thank You!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    27 June 2019 at 6:36:39 #916256

Hi Are2

Yes, have a full day for that.

A map of trails is available on the free Switzerland Mobility site. The site has an extension, Switzerland Mobility Plus, that allows you to design your own itineraries (hike, MTB, bicycle, even canoe or roller skates) and get the length, estimated hiking time, elevation differences upward and downward), for CHF 120 a year.

Enjoy the hike!

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    27 June 2019 at 9:57:59 #916257

Hi Are2

It will take you about 2.5 hrs walking time to go from First to Bachalpsee to Waldspitz to Bort. The leg to Bachalpsee will be fairly level or slightly up hill and likely crowded. The leg to Waldspitz is gently downhill, beautiful, and uncrowded. The leg to Bort is steep but has switchbacks and is short.

Mark

Are2
    Participant
    41 posts
    27 June 2019 at 14:54:09 #916258

Thank You both, Snowman and Mark!

With stops to enjoy the views, photo opportunities, and a lunch break, I suspect 4 to 5 hours for the roundtrip from Grindelwald might be about right?

A question for either of you, if I may? With an early start from Grindelwald, prior to 09:00, is it still likely that the path from First to Bachalpsee would be busy?

Thanks Again!

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    27 June 2019 at 16:31:54 #916259

Well busy is of course a relative thing. The last time I hiked to Bachalpsee we started about 9:30 and we may have seen 30 people. We saw no one on the Waldspitz or Bort legs. I would guess mid morning to mid afternoon is the busiest so the earlier the better.

Mark

• The thread ‘Hiking time from Bachalpsee to Waldspitz to Bort’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.