Hiking to Schilthorn in November

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2018 at 21:24:12 #818906

I will be attending a conference in Vienna Nov. 11-14. After that I plan on taking a train to Zurich on to Wengen. I understand that most of the hotels, restaurants and cable cars are closed during that time. I was thinking of hiking from Murren to Schilthorn and down. Would that be possible for this time of the year? Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 November 2018 at 1:32:12 #898879

Hi Bprobst5 –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps!

<<“Would that be possible for this time of the year?”>>

Might be. More than likely, the higher end of the hike will be closed. But, check with local sources.

That is a climb from 1638 meters to 2970 meters. Are you used to climbing at high altitudes?

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=7&E=26 32198.04&N=1156580.44

And, there is a good chance that the facilities at the top will be closed for the November maintenance, , so, you might have to hike back down. Are your knees in good shape?

Check this link for availability, look under Routes:

http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2018 at 1:40:27 #898880

Thank you for the information Slowpoke. I live at an elevation of 1400 meters and within in the last couple months climbed 3-4 peaks at 3000-3600 meters so I don’t think altitude will be a problem. Since the cable car will be closed I’m sure the facilities will be as well.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 November 2018 at 1:43:31 #898881

It would be good exercise. Watch out for sunset times. And, snow or ice on the trail.

http://www.myswissalps.com/time

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Hiking to Schilthorn in November’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.