Hiking to Schilthorn in November

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Bprobst5
Bprobst5
2 posts
Nov 8, 2018 - 9:24 PM

I will be attending a conference in Vienna Nov. 11-14. After that I plan on taking a train to Zurich on to Wengen. I understand that most of the hotels, restaurants and cable cars are closed during that time. I was thinking of hiking from Murren to Schilthorn and down. Would that be possible for this time of the year? Thanks

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5164 posts
expert
Nov 9, 2018 - 1:32 AM in reply to Bprobst5

Hi Bprobst5 -

Welcome to My Swiss Alps!

<<"Would that be possible for this time of the year?">>

Might be. More than likely, the higher end of the hike will be closed. But, check with local sources.

That is a climb from 1638 meters to 2970 meters. Are you used to climbing at high altitudes?

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=7&E=26 32198.04&N=1156580.44

And, there is a good chance that the facilities at the top will be closed for the November maintenance, , so, you might have to hike back down. Are your knees in good shape?

Check this link for availability, look under Routes:

www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn

Slowpoke

Last modified on Nov 9, 2018 - 1:37 AM by Slowpoke
Bprobst5
Bprobst5
2 posts
Nov 9, 2018 - 1:40 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Thank you for the information Slowpoke. I live at an elevation of 1400 meters and within in the last couple months climbed 3-4 peaks at 3000-3600 meters so I don't think altitude will be a problem. Since the cable car will be closed I'm sure the facilities will be as well.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5164 posts
expert
Nov 9, 2018 - 1:43 AM in reply to Bprobst5

It would be good exercise. Watch out for sunset times. And, snow or ice on the trail.

Slowpoke

Last modified on Nov 9, 2018 - 1:49 AM by Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018