Hiking trails suitable for children in early April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2012 at 5:30:54 #805026

Hello,
    We are a family with two children, age 8 and 12. We plan to visit the Bernese Oberland area the first week of April when the children are on Easter break. Could you please recommend some hiking trails that are suitable for the children during that week?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    17 March 2012 at 3:15:20 #835176

Hello,

There are hiking tips and day trips in the Bernese Oberland part of this website. The hiking tips part has catagories which will tell you something about the difficulty of the hike. I hope this gets you started, the Bernese Oberland has lots of possibilities for hiking with children!

Have a nice trip,

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    17 March 2012 at 6:44:09 #835177

Hello,

Just to make my reaction more complete: as you will be in Switzerland in the first week of April, you will have to check if all hiking possibilities mentioned in the hiking tips are open. There may still be snow. You can check the weather forecast on SF1 Meteo and/or Meteoschweiz, and the local tourist offices.

I hope the weather will be fine!

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    17 March 2012 at 11:07:15 #835178

Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg and Grütschalp to Mürren are both spectacular, easy, and pretty much guaranteed to be open. When walking from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg be sure to walk over to visit the Trümmelbach Falls as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2012 at 12:49:51 #835179

Hello, the walk through the aareschlucht should also be open in April, I think. Check details on the links Olga referred to. You could also take a train ride to Lucerne and visit the transport Museum which the children will really enjoy as it’s very interactive. Maggie

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    17 March 2012 at 15:12:53 #835180

Hi,

The Aare Gorge Maggie refers to opens April 6th (only the western entrance, near Meiringen).

I am quite sure you could walk in the Lauterbrunnen valley all the way (or sections) from Wilderswil to Stechelberg (Wilderswill – Zweilütschinen – Lauterbrunnen – Stechelberg).

You could ask a local tourist office whether it is possible and safe this time of year to hike from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg (v.v.) (see hiking tips Olga mentioned).

Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘Hiking trails suitable for children in early April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.